[QUIZ] Object Browser (#8)

R. Mark Volkmann

Quoting Curt Hibbs said:
R. Mark Volkmann wrote:[mailto:[email protected]]
I agree. It seems though that "getting a little dirty with the
installers"
could be done once for all of us rather that repeated for every Ruby GUI
application that requires portability to Windows, OS X and Linux
and desires
to be used by non-developers. Having a one-click installer for
each platform
that installs everything needed for a portable GUI seems ideal.

We *are* working towards this goal. But the road to success is paved by
volunteers willing to help...

We've got a one-click installer for windows, Steve Steiner is inching his
way closer to a one-click installer for osx (as a framework). I still need
someone willing to create and maintain one-click installers for kde and
gnome.

Then rubygems and rpabase (with integrated support in the one-click
installers) will provide subsequent customization to the user's installation
(as well as ongoing updates).

The missing piece would be a cross-platform installer that can package up
ruby apps, related extensions, and platform-specific binaries into
easy-to-distribute, self-installing applications. Any volunteers here?

Which GUI toolkits are targeted to be supported by all of these one-click
installers? If I remember correctly, only Tk and FOX are supported by the
Windows one-click installer.

Curt Hibbs

R. Mark Volkmann [mailto:[email protected]]
Quoting Curt Hibbs said:
[...]

wxRuby will be added -- it is the only GUI toolkit that supports native
widgets.

Curt

Michael DeHaan

I'm an OS X user as well.

I'd love to see Ruby bindings for this:

http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/

* Shiny
* No X11 required

Ruby/Cocoa is nice, although I prefer to not write Mac-specific
applications since I have a lot of friends who mainly run Linux and
I'd like to be able to share things I create with them. Also,
there are no Mac workstations or servers at work, so Linux/Windows
compatiblity is nice to have.

Quoting Curt Hibbs said:
[...]

gabriele renzi

Michael DeHaan ha scritto:
I'm an OS X user as well.

I'd love to see Ruby bindings for this:

http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/

* Shiny
* No X11 required

Ruby/Cocoa is nice, although I prefer to not write Mac-specific
applications since I have a lot of friends who mainly run Linux and
I'd like to be able to share things I create with them. Also,
there are no Mac workstations or servers at work, so Linux/Windows
compatiblity is nice to have.

well, IIUC you can use the tile extension with the latest tkruby:
http://tktable.sourceforge.net/tile/screenshots/macosx.html
I think it still requires x11 but the shininess is there :)

PS
please try to avoid top-posting it's a bad habit
PPS
please consider the previous notice as a kind suggestion :)

Alexander Kellett

N> Did you try RubyCocoa (http://www.fobj.com/rubycocoa/w.en/) ? If OS
X is
N> your desired platform, then really this is the toolkit you should
be using.

Is this still maintained ?
The last not in the changelog file is about 16 month old.

and doesn't even build on my system
didn't waste too much time on it admittedly
if it doesn't work out of the box i really
can't be bothered.

Alex