Quoting confusion

Discussion in 'XML' started by Derek Fountain, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. How do I get a three character string like

    in my output? It thought using &lt;p&gt; should do it, but no. I get the
    literal characters.

    As a test I wrote this little bit of XSLT:

    ---
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
    <xsl:eek:utput method="html"/>

    <xsl:template match="/">
    <xsl:text>&apos; &lt; &gt; &quot; &amp;</xsl:text>
    </xsl:template>

    </xsl:stylesheet>
    ---

    When run I get:

    >xsltproc test1.xsl test1.xml

    ' &lt; &gt; &quot; &amp;

    The &apos; seems to convert to a ' correctly, but the others come out
    literally. That's under Linux with libxml2, but I'm seeing the same issues
    on Windows.

    What have I done wrong?
    Derek Fountain, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Hi Derek

    I solved the problem this way:

    - use output method="text"
    - put your text in a cdata segment

    Hope this helps - regards - Nicolas Stern

    sample code for the xsl stylesheet:
    <xsl:eek:utput method="text" />

    <xsl:template match="/">
    <![CDATA[
    <h1>Test</h1>
    <h2> 1 < 2 </h2>
    ]]>

    </xsl:template>

    </xsl:stylesheet>
    Nicolas Stern, Aug 13, 2003

  3. > I solved the problem this way:

    > - use output method="text"

    That appears to be the key. The CDATA stuff you also implemented wasn't
    necessary, either for my project, or my little test script.

    Now I need to understand why the output method changes the way these things
    behave. I'll start a new thread for that.

    Thanks for your help!
    Derek Fountain, Aug 13, 2003