R: reading an excel file in C?

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Turner, GS \(Geoff\), Aug 19, 2005.

  1. > -----Original Message-----
    > From: siliconwafer [mailto:]
    > Posted At: 19 August 2005 15:20
    > Posted To: c
    > Conversation: reading an excel file in C?
    > Subject: reading an excel file in C?
    >

    > Hi All,
    > I want to know,How can one read an Excel file into C,cell by cell?
    > Further I want to compare 2 excel files,cell by cell.
    > I know a crude way which is not working.
    > I can open an xls file and read it character by character untill a
    > '\t'(TAB).Then again read it char by char.
    > I think this should work since an Excel file is nothing but a tab
    > seperated strings.Am I correct?
    > What can be an elegant way?
    > Thanks,
    > -Siliconwafer

    Only if the file is saved as an CSV file, with TAB delimiters.
    Otherwise it could be quotes and commas seperating cells, again
    if it's a CSV.
    If it's an XLS, then you need to find the file format.

    GST
    Turner, GS \(Geoff\), Aug 19, 2005

  2. Turner, GS (Geoff) wrote:

    >> From: siliconwafer [mailto:]

    >> I want to know,How can one read an Excel file into C,cell by cell?

    > If it's an XLS, then you need to find the file format.

    Which is proprietary, of course. And no C stuff, anyway.

    Hint: googling for "WorkbooksPtr" could help ...

    Best regards
    Steffen
    Steffen Buehler, Aug 19, 2005