    Da: Jim Clark [mailto:]=20
    Inviato: mercoled=EC 25 aprile 2007 18.32
    A: ruby-talk ML
    Oggetto: Re: Using Watir and Ruby2Exe together

    In the haze of an early breakfast coupled with little sleep, I realized=20
    that the solution to this problem wasn't about forcing the browser to do =

    something it is explicitly designed not to do. Rather, the key is to get =

    the client PCs to act like a server which is when I had the head=20
    slapping moment of thinking about the Ruby one-click installer. It can=20
    be put on a Flash drive, it will execute on Windows XP and Vista, any=20
    browser can be used to view the HTML pages from Apache, and it really=20
    beefs up the infrastructure with many features including having a MySQL=20
    database to store info and extract the data from. The problem of saving=20
    an XML file to disk completely disappears when viewed from a server side =

    perspective.

    -Jim

    Phillip Gawlowski wrote:
    > Jim Clark wrote:
    >> Phillip Gawlowski wrote:
    >>> P5: Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance.
    >>>

    >> When I was in the military, the drill sergeants would harp upon the 6 =

    >> P's of Proper Planning. You're version is a bit nicer.

    > I know that variant, too, but I don't want to upset anyone casually. =

    :p

    Andrea Forlin, Apr 25, 2007

  2. Andrea Forlin

    Jim Clark Guest

    Thanks - I'll keep this in mind if others voice an opinion for a lighter
    weight solution. Part of why I like InstantRails is my familiarity with
    Apache having using it for a number of years. Keeping it on a thumb
    drive keeps it off the lan which hopefully avoids anyone's discomfort
    with installing files anywhere.

    -Jim

    Jim Clark, Apr 25, 2007

  3. Re: Strange error with HTTPS request

    On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 03:23:25PM +0900, Gary Thomas wrote:
    > I am interested in downloading, from the New Zealand TAB (Totalisator Agency
    > Board) website, the names of the race meetings on a particular date. This is
    > normally reached from the TAB main page (www.tab.co.nz) through their
    > results page which has a form with date dropdown (and uses HTTPS). Picking
    > (for example) 20 April 2007 leads to a web page with the URL
    > ebet.tab.co.nz/ebet/ResultsArchive?day=20&month=04&year=2007

    [snip]

    > Can someone point out my mistake in this code which works pretty well in
    > other situations?

    Do you really need to use Net::HTTP? I was able to fetch the page with
    mechanize and not have to deal with setting up Net::HTTP:

    require 'rubygems'
    require 'mechanize'

    mech = WWW::Mechanize.new
    page =