    Any ideas on what is going on?

    --
    Simon Strandgaard

    Simon Strandgaard, May 6, 2004

  2. Hi,

    Thank you for the report.

    Simon Strandgaard wrote:
    > When I try to enter my project page
    > http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=regexp

    > Internal Server Error
    > can't dup NilClass
    > ----
    > WEBrick/1.3.1 (Ruby/1.9.0/2004-04-03) at localhost:7171

    I'll look into this soon.

    Regards,
    // NaHi

    NAKAMURA, Hiroshi, May 6, 2004

  3. Hi, again,

    NAKAMURA, Hiroshi wrote:
    >> When I try to enter my project page
    >> http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=regexp

    >> Internal Server Error
    >> can't dup NilClass
    >> ----
    >> WEBrick/1.3.1 (Ruby/1.9.0/2004-04-03) at localhost:7171

    > I'll look into this soon.

    I caught a bug and did a workaround now. Should be corrected now.

    Old 'regexp' version 0.7 has a nil updated field so that
    "history.updated.dup.gmtime.strftime..." in ERb crashed. I haven't
    remember that old entries do not have this field...

    Regards,
    // NaHi

    NAKAMURA, Hiroshi, May 6, 2004
  4. "NAKAMURA, Hiroshi" <> wrote:
    > >> When I try to enter my project page
    > >> http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=regexp

    > >> Internal Server Error
    > >> can't dup NilClass
    > >> ----
    > >> WEBrick/1.3.1 (Ruby/1.9.0/2004-04-03) at localhost:7171

    > > I'll look into this soon.

    > I caught a bug and did a workaround now. Should be corrected now.
    >
    > Old 'regexp' version 0.7 has a nil updated field so that
    > "history.updated.dup.gmtime.strftime..." in ERb crashed. I haven't
    > remember that old entries do not have this field...

    I see it now works, Thanks for fixing this quickly.

    BTW: Thanks for the new RAA.. I like the concept of multiple versions
    and list of dependencies. Keep up the good work :)

    --
    Simon Strandgaard

    Simon Strandgaard, May 6, 2004
  5. RAA plan (was Re: RAA error - can't dup NilClass)

    Hi,

    Simon Strandgaard wrote:
    >>I caught a bug and did a workaround now. Should be corrected now.

    (Poor English composition. sigh.)

    > BTW: Thanks for the new RAA.. I like the concept of multiple versions
    > and list of dependencies. Keep up the good work :)

    Happy to hear it.

    Within this week, you can retrieve and update RAA information via SOAP
    interface. In fact, it already exists. If a person is familiar to WSDL
    format, you can use RAA SOAP interface now. See WSDL at
    http://www.ruby-lang.org/xmlns/soap/interface/RAA/0.0.3/ for detail.
    If not familiar, wait a sample client that I'll post in a few days...

    Next, we'll set up the SSL server for RAA so that RubyForge users could
    automatically update RAA securely. At the next, rubygems cooperation
    though I don't know how rubygems developers think. I haven't thought
    well yet about how RAA and rubygems can cooperate.

    RSS feed at http://raa.ruby-lang.org/index.rdf might not be enough. The
    freepan.org might require daily full YAML serialized RAA information.
    Many things to do. Step by step.

    Regards,
    // NaHi

    NAKAMURA, Hiroshi, May 6, 2004
  6. RAA vs. RubyGems?

    Hi!

    I'm brand new to this list and to Ruby.

    I'm confused as to what might be the equivalent of Perl's CPAN on Ruby.

    I've found RAA and RubyGems but they don't seem to be integrated in any
    way and RAA seems just to be a list of stuff that has to be downloaded
    and installed separately.

    Am I missing something?

    Sorry if this is a duplicate query, I didn't find anything like this
    wherever I looked.

    Steve

    Stephen Steiner, May 7, 2004
  7. Simon Strandgaard

    jm Guest

    Re: RAA vs. RubyGems?

    I'm not familiar with rubygems, but raa is the ruby equiv of cpan
    unless you're referring to the cpan module for retrieving other modules
    and dependencies.

    Jeff.

    jm, May 7, 2004
  8. Re: RAA vs. RubyGems?

    > I'm not familiar with rubygems, but raa is the ruby equiv of cpan
    > unless you're referring to the cpan module for retrieving other
    > modules and dependencies.

    Yes, I was referring to the cpan capabilities i.e. automatic retrieval
    of modules and any dependencies and automatic installation thereof.

    RubyGems seems to be an attempt to emulate, and surpass, the
    functionality of the Perl cpan program.

    It can be found at:
    http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=1027

    It doesn't seem to cooperate with RAA in any way and maintains its own,
    separate directory structure outside the normal Ruby installation. The
    concept is nice, as far as it goes, but it is not as well integrated
    with RAA and Ruby as CPAN/cpan is with Perl.

    Thanks for the info!

    Steve

    Stephen Steiner, May 7, 2004
  9. Re: RAA vs. RubyGems?

    On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 07:47:21PM +0900, Stephen Steiner wrote:
    > It doesn't seem to cooperate with RAA in any way and maintains its own,
    > separate directory structure outside the normal Ruby installation. The

    ==================

    This is so by design, and the implementation relies strongly on it.

    > concept is nice, as far as it goes, but it is not as well integrated
    > with RAA and Ruby as CPAN/cpan is with Perl.

    There are ongoing talks about integrating Rubygems with Rubyforge and RAA.

    --
    Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
    batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

    I've run DOOM more in the last few days than I have the last few
    months. I just love debugging ;-)
    -- Linus Torvalds

    Mauricio Fernández, May 7, 2004
  10. Simon Strandgaard

    Tom Copeland Guest

    Re: RAA vs. RubyGems?

    On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 13:44, Mauricio Fernández wrote:
    > > concept is nice, as far as it goes, but it is not as well integrated
    > > with RAA and Ruby as CPAN/cpan is with Perl.

    > There are ongoing talks about integrating Rubygems with Rubyforge and RAA.

    Yup, I'm trying to keep this RFE:

    http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=196&group_id=5&atid=104

    updated with the status of that effort...

    Yours,

    Tom

    P.S. Apologies for the repeat post from a few weeks back.

    Tom Copeland, May 7, 2004
  11. Simon Strandgaard

    Chad Fowler Guest

    Re: RAA vs. RubyGems?

    On Sat, 8 May 2004 03:12:48 +0900, Tom Copeland <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 13:44, Mauricio Fernández wrote:
    > > > concept is nice, as far as it goes, but it is not as well integrated
    > > > with RAA and Ruby as CPAN/cpan is with Perl.

    > > There are ongoing talks about integrating Rubygems with Rubyforge and RAA.

    > Yup, I'm trying to keep this RFE:
    >
    > http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=196&group_id=5&atid=104
    >
    > updated with the status of that effort...

    Nahi and some of us RubyGems people have exchanged a few emails about
    Rubygems and RAA integration. We would love to see it happen, but we
    shouldn't integrate the production RAA with alpha-level software.
    This week, Nahi sent a message to this list with some of his upcoming,
    prioritized TODO items. I believe it put secure rpc/RubyForge
    integration at second place (following enhanced SOAP interface), then
    followed by looking into RubyGems. That should probably match the
    RubyGems timeframe quite nicely as well.

    Chad

    Chad Fowler, May 7, 2004
  12. New RAA SOAP interface sample client (was Re: RAA plan)

    Hi,

    NAKAMURA, Hiroshi wrote:
    > Within this week, you can retrieve and update RAA information via SOAP
    > interface. In fact, it already exists. If a person is familiar to WSDL
    > format, you can use RAA SOAP interface now. See WSDL at
    > http://www.ruby-lang.org/xmlns/soap/interface/RAA/0.0.3/ for detail.
    > If not familiar, wait a sample client that I'll post in a few days...

    Here is a sample client. Each sample should work on ruby/CVS HEAD,
    ruby/1.8.1 and ruby/1.6.8 + soap4r/1.5.2. Of course it should run with
    soap4r/CVS.

    % ruby -rpp -rsoap/wsdlDriver -e '
    raa = SOAP::WSDLDriverFactory.new(
    "http://www.ruby-lang.org/xmlns/soap/interface/RAA/0.0.4/"
    ).create_driver
    pp raa.gem("soap4r")
    '

    You'll see the RAA information of "soap4r" project.

    This sample calls only one method 'raa.gem("projectname")'. Interface
    is defined in WSDL and you can see sample which calls all methods at
    http://www.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/lib/soap4r/sample/wsdl/raa2.4/wsdlDriver.rb?rev=1.2
    You can update RAA information with following code (excerpted from above
    sample code).

    name = 'sampleproject'
    pass = 'sampleproject'
    gem = raa.gem(name) # retrieve current information
    gem.project.version.succ! # modify it
    gem.updated = Time.now
    raa.update(name, pass, gem) # update

    By the way, above samples uses WSDL directly, so the client fetches WSDL
    each time. It's simple as a sample but could be a waste of time. With
    a script wsdl2ruby.rb which is included in soap4r/1.5.2 or soap4r/CVS,
    you can pregenerate skeleton driver script to avoid fetching WSDL each
    time. (i.e. ruby/CVS HEAD and ruby/1.8.1 do not include the script
    wsdl2ruby.rb).

    Here is a sample which uses wsdl2ruby.rb at
    http://www.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/lib/soap4r/sample/soap/raa2.4/sample.rb?rev=1.1
    Pregenerated skeleton driver files are at

    NAKAMURA, Hiroshi, May 8, 2004
  13. Simon Strandgaard

    Chad Fowler Guest

    Re: New RAA SOAP interface sample client (was Re: RAA plan)

    On 8/5/2004, at 9:28 AM, NAKAMURA, Hiroshi wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > NAKAMURA, Hiroshi wrote:
    >> Within this week, you can retrieve and update RAA information via
    >> SOAP interface. In fact, it already exists. If a person is familiar
    >> to WSDL format, you can use RAA SOAP interface now. See WSDL at
    >> http://www.ruby-lang.org/xmlns/soap/interface/RAA/0.0.3/ for detail.
    >> If not familiar, wait a sample client that I'll post in a few days...

    > Here is a sample client. Each sample should work on ruby/CVS HEAD,
    > ruby/1.8.1 and ruby/1.6.8 + soap4r/1.5.2. Of course it should run
    > with soap4r/CVS.
    >
    > % ruby -rpp -rsoap/wsdlDriver -e '
    > raa = SOAP::WSDLDriverFactory.new(
    > "http://www.ruby-lang.org/xmlns/soap/interface/RAA/0.0.4/"
    > ).create_driver
    > pp raa.gem("soap4r")
    > '
    >
    > You'll see the RAA information of "soap4r" project.

    Very nice! I tried it out, and it seems to work very well.

    I wonder if the "gem" method might be a little misleading/confusing
    until we can truly integrate the rubygems project with RAA?

    This is fantastic work and should make other integration quite simple.

    Chad

    Chad Fowler, May 8, 2004