Racc fails on install

Gordon Marsh

Hi all,

I am very new to ruby but have got things up and running. I'm now trying
to install racc and am hitting a serious problem which I can't resolve.

I'm running Windows XP and Ruby 186-26 and have updated to the lastest
RubyGems.

When I run P:\>gem install c:racc-1.4.6.gem, I get back...

ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Error instaling c:racc-1.4.6.gem:

ruby extconf.rb install c:racc-1.4.6.gem
extconf.rb:3:in ``': No such file or directory - uname -p
(Errno::ENOENT)
from extconf.rb:3

Gem files will remain installed in
C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/racc-1.4.6 for inspection.
Results logged to C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/racc
1.4.6/ext/racc/cparse/gem_make.out

I'm at a bit of a loss here and any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Gordon

Ryan Davis

I am very new to ruby but have got things up and running. I'm now = trying
to install racc and am hitting a serious problem which I can't =
resolve.

The racc runtime ships with ruby so if all you need is to run racc =
generated grammars, you're already taken care of.
I'm running Windows XP and Ruby 186-26 and have updated to the lastest
RubyGems.
=20
When I run P:\>gem install c:racc-1.4.6.gem, I get back...
=20
ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Error instaling c:racc-1.4.6.gem:
=20
ruby extconf.rb install c:racc-1.4.6.gem
extconf.rb:3:in ``': No such file or directory - uname -p
(Errno::ENOENT)
from extconf.rb:3

That looks simple enough. Explanation: we suck and don't run windows so =
we overlooked that. Comment out that line and run extconf.rb again, it =
should work. If that's the case, we can patch it up and release a fix.

Gordon Marsh

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your quick response. I'm actually trying to get Cucumber up
and running which requires a newer version of racc (or one of its
dependencies does I forget), so that's why I need to install the racc
gem again.

If I edit the extconf.rb file as you suggest, then execute the following
line I get the following message with no error.

P:\>ruby
"C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\racc-1.4.6\ext\racc\cparse\extconf.rb"
install C:racc-1.4.6.gem
creating Makefile

Is that all the info I can give you at the moment? I take it I need to
await your next patch to install?

Cheers,

Gordon

Ryan Davis

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your quick response. I'm actually trying to get Cucumber up
and running which requires a newer version of racc (or one of its
dependencies does I forget), so that's why I need to install the racc
gem again.

If I edit the extconf.rb file as you suggest, then execute the following
line I get the following message with no error.

P:\>ruby
"C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\racc-1.4.6\ext\racc\cparse\extconf.rb"
install C:racc-1.4.6.gem
creating Makefile

Is that all the info I can give you at the moment? I take it I need to
await your next patch to install?

Do the windows equivalent:

% cp -r C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\racc-1.4.6 $HOME
% cd $HOME/racc-1.4.6
% rake gem
% gem install pkg/racc-1.4.6.gem

Aaron Patterson

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your quick response. I'm actually trying to get Cucumber up
and running which requires a newer version of racc (or one of its
dependencies does I forget), so that's why I need to install the racc
gem again.

If I edit the extconf.rb file as you suggest, then execute the following
line I get the following message with no error.

P:\>ruby
"C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\racc-1.4.6\ext\racc\cparse\extconf.rb"
install C:racc-1.4.6.gem
creating Makefile

Is that all the info I can give you at the moment? I take it I need to
await your next patch to install?

Can you run gem -v? I highly doubt that cucumber needs a newer version
of the racc runtime to work. I suspect you're running an older version
of rubygems that doesn't know about development dependencies.

That's my hunch anyway.

Gordon Marsh

Thanks for the help guys.

If I run gem -v I get "0.9.4", which I find a little odd as I've run the
rubygems-update-1.3.5.gem.

In any case, what is weirder is that if racc is part of the standard
Ruby distribution, what I actually get when trying to install Cucumber
is the following:

C:\Program Files\FunFx>gem install cucumber-0.4.4.gem
ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Error instaling cucumber-0.4.4.gem:
cucumber requires nokogiri = 1.3.3

C:\Program Files\FunFx>gem install nokogiri-1.3.3.gem
ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Error instaling nokogiri-1.3.3.gem:
nokogiri requires racc >= 0

C:\Program Files\FunFx>gem install racc-1.4.6.gem
ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Error instaling racc-1.4.6.gem:

ruby extconf.rb install racc-1.4.6.gem
extconf.rb:3:in ``': No such file or directory - uname -p
(Errno::ENOENT)
from extconf.rb:3

Gem files will remain installed in
C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/racc-1.4.6 for inspection.
Results logged to
C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/racc1.4.6/ext/racc/cparse/gem_make.out

Nokogiri obviously thinks that racc is not installed at all!

Thanks,

Gordon

Luis Lavena

Thanks for the help guys.

If I run gem -v I get "0.9.4", which I find a little odd as I've run the
rubygems-update-1.3.5.gem.

If the gem update --system fails, please update manually:

http://blog.mmediasys.com/2008/08/04/problems-with-rubygems-find-here-some-handy-tips/

If you're still getting 0.9.4 that means you're updating the wrong
version of RubyGems for multiple installed Ruby in your system.

Please verify your setup first.
In any case, what is weirder is that if racc is part of the standard
Ruby distribution, what I actually get when trying to install Cucumber
is the following:

   C:\Program Files\FunFx>gem install cucumber-0.4.4.gem
   ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
       Error instaling cucumber-0.4.4.gem:
           cucumber requires nokogiri = 1.3.3

   C:\Program Files\FunFx>gem install nokogiri-1.3.3.gem
   ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
       Error instaling nokogiri-1.3.3.gem:
           nokogiri requires racc >= 0

What it seems is that you're manually installing each individual gem
using the gem files and not letting rubygems resolve dependencies and
download them automatically.

Is that because you're behind a proxy? See the documentation of gem
install for proxy option and URL:

gem install xxx --http-proxy http://server:port/
Nokogiri obviously thinks that racc is not installed at all!

Again, that is because you're using an old version of RubyGems and is
trying to install development dependencies as runtime instead.

Word of advice: please use RubyInstaller 1.8.6 (RC1) instead of your
old One-Click installation.

http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=35591

Gordon Marsh

Word of advice: please use RubyInstaller 1.8.6 (RC1) instead of your

Thanks so much for this! I think all my problems were caused by a dodgy
install (I was using the one-click and had tried over and over again
uninstalling and re-installing with it to try and get things to work).

I had major issues with my proxy too using the old version... but having
used the new installer I've just got Ruby, Cucumber and FunFX (all the
things I wanted) installed in about 5 mins!

Thanks for everyone's comments!

Gordon