Radio Event Not Registered

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by MC, Jul 22, 2008.

  1. MC

    MC Guest

    Question,
    Why does the following code register the event for input type button but not
    radio? (And how do I make this happen?)
    Thanks,
    MC

    <HTML>
    <FORM name='x' action=''>
    <input type='radio' name='rbTest' id='YES_1' value='1'>YES
    <input type='radio' name='rbTest' id='NO_1' value='0'>NO
    <input type='button' name='btnTest' id='btnTestid' value='test'>
    </FORM>
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="Javascript" type="text/javascript">
    document.x.btnTest.onclick = doTest;
    document.x.rbTest.onclick = doTest;
    function doTest(e) {
    alert('doTest');
    }
    </SCRIPT>
    </HTML>
    MC, Jul 22, 2008

  2. MC

    Henry Guest

    On Jul 22, 3:51 pm, MC wrote:
    > Question,
    > Why does the following code register the event for input
    > type button but not radio? (And how do I make this happen?)
    > Thanks,
    > MC
    >
    > <HTML>
    > <FORM name='x' action=''>
    > <input type='radio' name='rbTest' id='YES_1' value='1'>YES
    > <input type='radio' name='rbTest' id='NO_1' value='0'>NO
    > <input type='button' name='btnTest' id='btnTestid' value='test'>
    > </FORM>
    > <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="Javascript" type="text/javascript">
    > document.x.btnTest.onclick = doTest;
    > document.x.rbTest.onclick = doTest;

    <snip>
    If you have multiple like-named form controls (usually radio buttons)
    then referencing them by name results in a collection of all of those
    like-named controls. Setting an - onclick - property on a collection
    object is probably harmless but is also not useful.

    You would need to loop through the collection and assign the - onclick
    - listener to each form control element in the collection in tern.
    Henry, Jul 22, 2008

  3. MC

    MC Guest

    Henry,
    Thank you for pointing this out. Adding the following resolved the issue.
    MC

    function addRadioEvent(e) {
    for (var i=0; i < e.length; i++) {
    e.onclick = myEventClick;
    MC, Jul 22, 2008
  4. Henry wrote:
    > On Jul 22, 3:51 pm, MC wrote:
    >> Question,
    >> Why does the following code register the event for input
    >> type button but not radio? (And how do I make this happen?)
    >> [...]
    >> <HTML>
    >> <FORM name='x' action=''>
    >> <input type='radio' name='rbTest' id='YES_1' value='1'>YES
    >> <input type='radio' name='rbTest' id='NO_1' value='0'>NO
    >> <input type='button' name='btnTest' id='btnTestid' value='test'>
    >> </FORM>
    >> <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="Javascript" type="text/javascript">
    >> document.x.btnTest.onclick = doTest;
    >> document.x.rbTest.onclick = doTest;

    This is not Valid markup and so is not supposed to work in the first place.

    > <snip>
    > If you have multiple like-named form controls (usually radio buttons)
    > then referencing them by name results in a collection of all of those
    > like-named controls. Setting an - onclick - property on a collection
    > object is probably harmless but is also not useful.
    >
    > You would need to loop through the collection and assign the - onclick
    > - listener to each form control element in the collection in tern.

    It suffices and is much more efficient to assign the `click' event listener
    to the `form' element object or another common ancestor element object
    instead, because the `click' event bubbles in all known DOMs:

    function doTest()
    {
    // ...
    }

    and then

    <form ... onclick="doTest()">
    </form>

    or

    document.forms["x"].addEventListener("click", doTest, false);

    or

    document.forms["x"].onclick = doTest;

    Note that the third approach is proprietary (for `onclick'). In contrast
    to the second, standards-compliant approach, it requires some work if a
    potential primary event listener is not to be replaced.

    As obvious by the first approach, the `form' element does not need a name.

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Jul 23, 2008