RadioButtonList in a DataGrid

DotNetGruven

Anyone have any pointers on how to set the Value and Selected attributes in
a ListItem in a RadioButtonList that is in a DataGrid?

Here's what I have
------DataGrid------
-- BoundColumn 0 --
-- BoundColumn 1 --
-- BoundColumn 2 --
-- TemplateColumn 4 --
-- RadioButtonList --
ListItem 0 // need to set the Value and Selected attributes from
DataSet Bound to DataGrid

TIA,
George

DotNetGruven

Oh, and this is the error message I'm getting:

Compiler Error Message: CS0117: 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.ListItem' does
not contain a definition for 'DataBinding'

-g

Ruprict

You should be able to DataBind to the List, but not the List Item.

If you want to just set the value on the ListItem, give the
RadioButtonList an id (i.e., rblList) and code the OnDataBindingEvent
for the DataGrid something like:

//set list item
RadioButtonList myList = (RadioButtonList) e.Item.FindControl("rblList");
myList.Items[0].Value = <value>;
myList.Items[0].Selected=true/false;

OR
//Bind radiobuttonlist
RadioButtonList myList = (RadioButtonList) e.Item.FindControl("rblList");
myList.DataSource = yourSource;
myList.DataBind();

Hope this helps

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi George,

Thanks for posting in the community! My name is Steven, and I'll be
assisting you on this issue.
From your description, you has a DataGrid which contains a template column
with a radiobuttonlist in it.
Also you want to set the radionbuttonlist 's item value and select
attribute at runtime during
the time when DataGrid's column is being bind to the data retrieved from
database, yes?

As for this problem, I think we can use the DataGrid's DataItemBound event
to implement our requirement. In the DataItemBound event, we can retrieve
the certain row which is currently being bund with datas from the
DataSource. Also, we can retrieve the certain row of DataSource. For our
siutation, we want to do some modification on the radiobuttonlist in the
template collumn, we can first retrieve the RadioButtonList control from
the column using "FindControl" and then do operations on it. For example:

private void dgMain_ItemDataBound(object sender,
if(e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.Item || e.Item.ItemType ==
ListItemType.AlternatingItem)
{
DataRowView drv = (DataRowView)e.Item.DataItem;
System.Web.UI.WebControls.RadioButtonList lst =
(System.Web.UI.WebControls.RadioButtonList)e.Item.Cells[2].FindControl("rblB
ind");
lst.Items[0].Text = drv["grade"].ToString();
lst.Items[0].Value = drv["grade"].ToString();
lst.SelectedIndex = 0;

#dgMain is the DataGrid in a page

To make such approach clearly, here is a sample page I've made, you can
refer to it if you have anything unclear in my above description:
---------------------------------aspx page----------------------------------
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<title>RadioButtonList</title>
</HEAD>
<asp:DataGrid id="dgMain" runat="server" AutoGenerateColumns="False">
<Columns>
<asp:BoundColumn DataField="index"
HeaderText="ID"></asp:BoundColumn>
<asp:BoundColumn DataField="name"
HeaderText="Name"></asp:BoundColumn>
<asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="BoundList">
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:RadioButtonList id="rblBind" runat="server">
<asp:ListItem Value="BindItem">BindItem</asp:ListItem>
<asp:ListItem Value="ItemA">ItemA</asp:ListItem>
<asp:ListItem Value="ItemB">ItemB</asp:ListItem>
<asp:ListItem Value="ItemC">ItemC</asp:ListItem>
</asp:RadioButtonList>
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateColumn>
</Columns>
</asp:DataGrid>
</form>
</HTML>

-----------------------------code behind page class------------------
public class RadioButtonList : System.Web.UI.Page
{
protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid dgMain;

if(!IsPostBack)
{
BindGrid();

protected void BindGrid()
{

DataTable tb = new DataTable();
tb.Columns.Add("index");
tb.Columns.Add("name");
tb.Columns.Add("grade");

for(int i=0;i<15;i++)
{
int index = i+1;
DataRow newrow = tb.NewRow();
newrow["index"] = index.ToString();
newrow["name"] = "name" + index.ToString();

switch(index%3)
{
case 0:
newrow["grade"] = "low";
break;
case 1:
newrow["grade"] = "normal";
break;
case 2:
newrow["grade"] = "high";
break;
}

tb.Rows.Add(newrow);
}

dgMain.DataSource = tb;
dgMain.DataBind();

//
//
InitializeComponent();
base.OnInit(e);
}

/// <summary>
/// </summary>
private void InitializeComponent()
{
this.dgMain.ItemDataBound += new
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridItemEventHandler(this.dgMain_ItemDataBound
);

#endregion

private void dgMain_ItemDataBound(object sender,
if(e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.Item || e.Item.ItemType ==
ListItemType.AlternatingItem)
{
DataRowView drv = (DataRowView)e.Item.DataItem;
System.Web.UI.WebControls.RadioButtonList lst =
(System.Web.UI.WebControls.RadioButtonList)e.Item.Cells[2].FindControl("rblB
ind");
lst.Items[0].Text = drv["grade"].ToString();
lst.Items[0].Value = drv["grade"].ToString();
lst.SelectedIndex = 0;

-------------------------

If you have any further questions, please feel free to post here.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

DotNetGruven

Thanks Ruprict, your help below set me down the right path to the answer. Here is what worked:

public void OnItemDataBound(object sender, System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridItemEventArgs e)
{
ListItemType listItemType = e.Item.ItemType;
if ( listItemType == ListItemType.AlternatingItem || listItemType == ListItemType.Item )
{
TableCell cell;
cell = (TableCell) e.Item.Cells[5];
if ( cell.Controls[1]is RadioButtonList && e.Item.DataItem is DataRowView )
{
RadioButtonList rbl = (RadioButtonList)cell.Controls[1];
DataRowView dr = (DataRowView)e.Item.DataItem;
rbl.Items[0].Selected = Convert.ToBoolean(dr.Row.ItemArray[5]);
rbl.Items[1].Selected = !rbl.Items[0].Selected;
rbl.Items[0].Value = rbl.Items[1].Value = dr.Row.ItemArray[0].ToString();

Ruprict said:
[...]

Thanks for your followup. I'm glad that the problem has been resolved. In
the meantime, if you have any further questions or need any further help,
please feel free to let me know.