RadioButtonList In DataGrid (edited e-mail address)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Guest, Jun 24, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi all!

    I have a page that gets a list of users from a database
    and puts them into a DataGrid. The DataGrid is editable.

    In Edit Mode of the DataGrid, I'll click update w/out
    making a selection on a RadioButtonList and get this error:

    "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

    Here's the code giving the error:

    ..Add(New SqlParameter("@ExceptionType", CInt(CType
    (e.Item.FindControl("radException"),
    RadioButtonList).SelectedItem.Value)))

    I think I understand why I'm getting the error: there is
    no value for the control.

    The real problem is that I have a RequiredFieldValidator
    in the EditItemTemplate that doesn't seem to catch
    the unselected state of the RadioButtonList.

    Here's the code for the validator:

    <asp:requiredfieldvalidator id="radException_ReqFldValid"
    initialvalue="" controltovalidate="radException"
    display="Dynamic" errormessage="Please select an Exception
    Type." />

    Is this happening because it's in a template and is being
    renamed for each user? If so, how do I workaround it?

    Thanks in advance!

    Guest, Jun 24, 2004