Radix Sort in CPAN

Edward Wijaya

Hi,

Does anybody know if there is an implementation of Radix sort in CPAN?
I can't find anything searchin in CPAN.

If there is none, is it worthwhile to write that for CPAN?
Sth like __Sort::Radix__ module.

Edward Wijaya

Looking at the docs, I see "Edward Wijaya" listed as the implementor. If
you're not lying about your name,

I did not lie about my name. What for?
pimp your module. I see the copyright is 2005, so obviously it's new. Go
to the

My OP is not meant to "pimp" the module. It's a sincere question.
Don't jump into quick and negative conclusion if you are not sure, it's
unfair.

I submitted the module since I didn't hear any feedback from it.

Edward Wijaya

On 21 Jan 2005 13:58:46 GMT, A. Sinan Unur <[email protected]>
wrote:

Thanks so much for your notice, Sinan.

I really appreciate it. I have made the correction to the module under ver
0.02.
Hope it works ;-)

Sherm Pendley

Edward said:
Does anybody know if there is an implementation of Radix sort in CPAN?
I can't find anything searchin in CPAN.

I go to <http://search.cpan.org>, type in "radix sort", and immediately get
a list of links back. The first link is a module called Sort::Radix.

Looking at the docs, I see "Edward Wijaya" listed as the implementor. If
you're not lying about your name, this is a *really* stupid attempt to pimp
your module. I see the copyright is 2005, so obviously it's new. Go to the
c.l.p.announce list and make a proper announcement, instead of posting fake
questions about it.

sherm--

A. Sinan Unur

I go to <http://search.cpan.org>, type in "radix sort", and
immediately get a list of links back. The first link is a module
called Sort::Radix.

Looking at the docs, I see "Edward Wijaya" listed as the implementor.
If you're not lying about your name, this is a *really* stupid attempt
to pimp your module. I see the copyright is 2005, so obviously it's
new. Go to the c.l.p.announce list and make a proper announcement,
instead of posting fake questions about it.

Running the example

use strict;
use warnings;

use Sort::Radix;

my @array = qw(flow loop pool Wolf root sort tour);
radix_sort(\@array);
print "@array\n";

from http://search.cpan.org/~ewijaya/Sort-Radix-0.01/lib/Sort/Radix.pm
yields:

C:\Temp> t
Undefined subroutine &Sort::Radix::radix_sort called at C:\Temp\t.pl
line 7.

This seems to be because the sub radix_sort is placed _after_ the
__END__ marker in the module file.

Fixing that yields:

C:\Temp> t
Argument "flow" isn't numeric in subtraction (-) at Sort/Radix.pm line
44.
Wolf flow loop pool root sort tour

While I do not have time to debug this thing, I think it is a very bad
sign when the only routine exported by the module is placed after
__END__.

Tried reporting the bug but I guess the module is not in the system yet.
I got directed to <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bugs.html?Dist=Sort-Radix>.

Sinan.

Tad McClellan

Edward Wijaya said:
Does anybody know if there is an implementation of Radix sort in CPAN?
I can't find anything searchin in CPAN.

Then there is a defect in the method that you use for searching CPAN.

What method did you use for searching CPAN?

Perhaps someone could point out a more effective method...

Sherm Pendley

Edward said:
My OP is not meant to "pimp" the module.

Sorry for overreacting.

You should understand though - I saw a question asking whether a module
exists, and when I looked, I saw that not only did the module exist, the
question had been posted by the module's author. To a cynical old fart like
me, that looks like astroturfing.
I submitted the module since I didn't hear any feedback from it.

You posted your question yesterday. I didn't even see it until this morning.
Usenet posts take time to propogate, and few people respond immediately. If
you wanted feedback, you should have been a bit more patient and given it a
few days.

Please don't get me wrong - My hat's off to you for contributing to CPAN.
I'm commenting on the announcement/question, not the module itself.

sherm--

Anno Siegel

wrote:

Thanks so much for your notice, Sinan.

I really appreciate it. I have made the correction to the module under ver
0.02.
Hope it works ;-)

You *hope*? Haven't you tested it?

Your two tests in t/Sort-Radix.t only test formalities. You should at
least add one test that actually sorts an array.

Further, your sub radix_sort() fails silently when all the input strings
don't have the same length. This fact is not in your documentation, it
is only mentioned in a source comment. You should check the arguments
and either fail or do something about it. In any case describe it. That
would belong in the description part of your pod. The explanation of the
algorithm that you have there belongs under a different heading.

Further, in the pod part, if you let lines begin with white space (as
you do), that tells pod to take that text literally and *not* format
it. You don't want that, not with lines of over 100 characters. Take
a look at your documentation before you publish it.

All in all, this looks like a *very* premature release. Please don't
do that.

Anno

A. Sinan Unur

wrote:

Thanks so much for your notice, Sinan.

I really appreciate it. I have made the correction to the module under
ver 0.02.
Hope it works ;-)

Given that your module is very very small, I think you and the Perl
community would have been better off if you had put the code up some place
and asked for comments from this newsgroup and comp.lang.perl.modules to
get the module in better shape before putting it on CPAN.

Think about writing some good tests.

Sinan.