Ragged Display - Which Control?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Mike Robbins, Oct 25, 2005.

  1. Mike Robbins

    Mike Robbins Guest

    I need to output information in the following format. I do not need
    in-place editing.

    Personnel

    Room Bed Cap Name Company Bed Cap Name
    Company
    1 LL W Smith, Joe Acme LR E
    Jones, Joe Apex
    UL W Green, Sam Acme UR E
    2 LL W LR
    UL W
    3 LL W Brown, Jill Western LR E
    UL W Doe, Jane Hill

    A few notes:

    1. Deriving the data is no problem. I already have that.
    2. There needs to be a line between each room.
    3. Each room number is only displayed once although the room number is a
    part of each record in the
    dataset.
    4. Each room does not have an even number of beds.
    5. I do not need in-place editing. Each bed would be a hyperlink.
    6. There may be more beds in a room. This is just an example.

    My questions:

    1. What control would work best? I originally thought a DataList because of
    the RepeatLayout and
    RepeatDirection properties, but I don't see how to make it "break" to the
    next room when there is
    an uneven number of beds for a room.

    2. Any other guidance, advice, or references on how to accomplish this.

    I appreciate any input.

    Thanks,

    Mike

    Mike Robbins, Oct 25, 2005

  2. Hi Mike,

    Regarding the choice of which databound control to use: do you need to page
    through the list or will it all be displayed on one page? If you want to page
    it through it, use a datagrid. I have a similar example, except that it
    allows edit, at this link
    http://www.societopia.net/samples/DataGrid_Hierarchy.aspx

    Regarding how to make the breaks between the rooms records, you will find
    the above example relying on the data structure to create the breaks without
    having to mind this in the presentation layer. (Of course you can change the
    style using CSS to whatever break styles you want)

    --
    HTH,
    Phillip Williams

    Phillip Williams, Oct 25, 2005

  3. Mike Robbins

    Mike Robbins Guest

    Thanks, Phillip.

    I don't need the paging, but I will look at your example. Thanks for
    sharing.

    Mike

    Mike Robbins, Oct 25, 2005
  4. You are quite welcome Mike. I have also added quickly an adaptation of the
    previous sample to work using the DataList at this link
    http://www.societopia.net/Samples/DataList_Hierarchy.aspx

    This sample is closer to what you are looking for because I structured the
    data in it such as the first record in the parent table contains the same
    fields that are displayed on the child table so that the first line would
    look indented as you were trying to achieve. Notice the applied style sheet
    properties that achieve the margin-left (the source code is available there)

    --
    HTH,
    Phillip Williams

    Phillip Williams, Oct 25, 2005
  5. Mike Robbins

    Mike Robbins Guest

    Super. Thanks so much.

    > You are quite welcome Mike. I have also added quickly an adaptation of

    the
    > previous sample to work using the DataList at this link
    > http://www.societopia.net/Samples/DataList_Hierarchy.aspx
    >
    > This sample is closer to what you are looking for because I structured the
    > data in it such as the first record in the parent table contains the same
    > fields that are displayed on the child table so that the first line would
    > look indented as you were trying to achieve. Notice the applied style

    sheet
    > properties that achieve the margin-left (the source code is available

    there)

    > --
    > HTH,
    > Phillip Williams
    > http://www.societopia.net
    > http://www.webswapp.com
    >

    > "Mike Robbins" wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks, Phillip.
    > >
    > > I don't need the paging, but I will look at your example. Thanks for
    > > sharing.
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >

    > > "Phillip Williams" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hi Mike,
    > > >
    > > > Regarding the choice of which databound control to use: do you need to

    > > page
    > > > through the list or will it all be displayed on one page? If you want

    > > page
    > > > it through it, use a datagrid. I have a similar example, except that

    it
    > > > allows edit, at this link
    > > > http://www.societopia.net/samples/DataGrid_Hierarchy.aspx
    > > >
    > > > Regarding how to make the breaks between the rooms records, you will

    find
    > > > the above example relying on the data structure to create the breaks

    > > without
    > > > having to mind this in the presentation layer. (Of course you can

    change
    > > the
    > > > style using CSS to whatever break styles you want)
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > HTH,
    > > > Phillip Williams
    > > > http://www.societopia.net