rails+ajax slowness in IE

Sam Williams

I'm trying out a very simple bit of Ajax using the Rails helper. While
it works just fine in Firefox, it takes about 30 seconds for it to work
in IE6.

Any ideas?

Starting with a fresh Rails app, I've added the following:

index_controller.rb:
class IndexController < ApplicationController

def index
end

def ajax
render_text "an ajax result!"
end

end

index.rhtml:
<head>
<%= javascript_include_tag "prototype" %>
</head>

<%= link_to_remote "do some ajax",
:url=>{
:controller=>"index",
:action=>"ajax"
},
:update=>"results"
%>

nothing yet

Luke Galea

I've noticed the same slowness so I'm definately intrested if anyone knows
what causes this.

it seems not all versions of IE6 have the problem.. specifically I know that
my laptop running the absolute newest version of IE6 running on XP SP2 is
fine.. but when I've deployed apps based on the assumption that all
"Sub-versions" of IE6 will behave with ajax the same, I found that's not the
case.

Sam Williams

Good, I'm glad to know I'm not alone. That's strange, though -- the
stuff prototype.js does isn't all *that* complex; I would have thought
it would have been tested better than that.

Anyone have any ideas on what, specifically, IE could be choking on?