    dbs. Does anyone know of further information on this subject?

    Thanks:)

    SA
    Bucco, May 30, 2006

  2. Bucco

    Dave Burt Guest

    Bucco wrote:
    > I have been reading "Ruby for Rails". There is a section in the book
    > that talks about running rails without a webserver. This was done
    > either by loading the environment into irb, or by running scripts that
    > have the line:
    >
    > require 'config/environment'
    >
    > I thought this to be a neat idea for putting together ruby apps with
    > dbs. Does anyone know of further information on this subject?

    Rails is a web app framework, and if you're not doing a web app, you're
    not going to find most of it terribly useful. But ActiveRecord is a
    generally useful database interface.

    Check out the Rails wiki's page on using ActiveRecord without Rails.

    Cheers,
    Dave
    Dave Burt, May 30, 2006

  3. You might also try FXFox to build a standard desktop GUI and end up with an
    application that runs on Windows, Linux, etc instead of using Java or .NET.
    and looks just like it. Basically, what I see is that RoR is a framework for
    SOA with a language (Ruby) that makes most IDEs and languages look really
    old and tired. If you want to write once and run anywhere, Ruby seems to be
    the real ticket.

    Martin Nemzow, Jun 1, 2006