rails: gem install rails is bombing

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by J. D., Nov 4, 2004.

  1. J. D.

    J. D. Guest

    Hi,

    I'm running into a problem installing rails using gem. How do I fix this?

    debian:/usr/local/src# ruby --version
    ruby 1.8.2 (2004-08-24) [i386-linux]

    debian:/usr/local/src# gem install rails
    Attempting local installation of 'rails'
    Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
    Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
    Successfully installed rails, version 0.8.0
    /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
    `require__': No such file to load -- rdoc/rdoc (LoadError)
    from
    /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require'
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/doc_manager.rb:42:in
    `generate_rdoc'
    from
    /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/gem_commands.rb:167:in `execute'
    from
    /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/gem_commands.rb:166:in `each'
    from
    /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/gem_commands.rb:166:in `execute'
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/command.rb:49:in
    `invoke'
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/cmd_manager.rb:90:in
    `process_args'
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/cmd_manager.rb:63:in
    `run'
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:9:in `run'
    from /usr/bin/gem:11
    J. D., Nov 4, 2004

  2. David Heinemeier Hansson, Nov 4, 2004

  3. J. D.

    Guest

    [OT - debian/ruby] [WAS] Re: rails: gem install rails is bombing

    On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:

    >> I'm running into a problem installing rails using gem. How do I fix
    >> this?

    > You don't have RDoc installed. Debian has chopped off Ruby into tiny
    > packages. Have a look at http://www.rubyonrails.org/show/RailsOnDebian for
    > help.

    i'm thinking of switching to debian but am kind of a tar.gz kind of package
    guy and don't like the sound of that at all... can any of you ruby/debian
    people give any information on debian as a ruby development platform?

    cheers.

    -a
    | PHONE :: 303.497.6469
    | When you do something, you should burn yourself completely, like a good
    | bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself. --Shunryu Suzuki
    , Nov 4, 2004
  4. J. D.

    Jamis Buck Guest

    Re: [OT - debian/ruby] [WAS] Re: rails: gem install rails is bombing

    wrote:
    > On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:
    >
    >>> I'm running into a problem installing rails using gem. How do I fix
    >>> this?

    >> You don't have RDoc installed. Debian has chopped off Ruby into tiny
    >> packages. Have a look at http://www.rubyonrails.org/show/RailsOnDebian
    >> for
    >> help.

    > i'm thinking of switching to debian but am kind of a tar.gz kind of package
    > guy and don't like the sound of that at all... can any of you ruby/debian
    > people give any information on debian as a ruby development platform?

    If tar.gz's are your thing, Ara, you might enjoy Gentoo
    (http://www.gentoo.org) as well. I've found my gentoo install to be
    quite capable as a ruby development platform.

    - Jamis

    --
    Jamis Buck

    http://www.jamisbuck.org/jamis
    Jamis Buck, Nov 4, 2004
  5. J. D.

    On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Jamis Buck wrote:

    > wrote:

    >>> You don't have RDoc installed. Debian has chopped off Ruby into tiny
    >>> packages. Have a look at http://www.rubyonrails.org/show/RailsOnDebian
    >>> for
    >>> help.

    >> i'm thinking of switching to debian but am kind of a tar.gz kind of package
    >> guy and don't like the sound of that at all... can any of you ruby/debian
    >> people give any information on debian as a ruby development platform?

    > If tar.gz's are your thing, Ara, you might enjoy Gentoo
    > (http://www.gentoo.org) as well. I've found my gentoo install to be
    > quite capable as a ruby development platform.

    you are the second person to mention gentoo this week - i'll check it out.

    cheers.

    -a
    | PHONE :: 303.497.6469
    | When you do something, you should burn yourself completely, like a good
    | bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself. --Shunryu Suzuki
    , Nov 4, 2004
  6. Re: [OT - debian/ruby] [WAS] Re: rails: gem install rails is bombing

    Consider me the thrid, gentoo would be the right choice.

    On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 00:53:44 +0900,
    <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Jamis Buck wrote:
    >

    > > wrote:

    > >> i'm thinking of switching to debian but am kind of a tar.gz kind of package
    > >> guy and don't like the sound of that at all... can any of you ruby/debian
    > >> people give any information on debian as a ruby development platform?

    > > If tar.gz's are your thing, Ara, you might enjoy Gentoo
    > > (http://www.gentoo.org) as well. I've found my gentoo install to be
    > > quite capable as a ruby development platform.

    > you are the second person to mention gentoo this week - i'll check it out.
    >

    > cheers.
    >
    > -a
    > | EMAIL :: Ara [dot] T [dot] Howard [at] noaa [dot] gov
    > | PHONE :: 303.497.6469
    > | When you do something, you should burn yourself completely, like a good
    > | bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself. --Shunryu Suzuki

    Tobi
    Tobias Luetke, Nov 4, 2004
  7. J. D.

    Jason Sweat Guest

    Re: [OT - debian/ruby] [WAS] Re: rails: gem install rails is bombing

    On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 02:12:57 +0900, Tobias Luetke
    <> wrote:
    > Consider me the thrid, gentoo would be the right choice.

    I dearly love Gentoo as a distro, but I did have one issue with the
    ebuild scripts for ruby. I had to manually add the
    --enable-install-doc option to the default portage ebuild script for
    ruby-1.8.2_pre2 in order to get ri to work correctly. I suggested to
    the maintainer of the portage script to add a "doc" USE flag to
    control this.

    Did anyone else have the same issue I did? Is there a more clever way
    around this?

    Thanks,

    Regards,

    Jason
    --
    http://blog.casey-sweat.us/
    Jason Sweat, Nov 4, 2004
  8. J. D.

    Jason Sweat wrote:
    > On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 02:12:57 +0900, Tobias Luetke
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Consider me the thrid, gentoo would be the right choice.

    > I dearly love Gentoo as a distro, but I did have one issue with the
    > ebuild scripts for ruby. I had to manually add the
    > --enable-install-doc option to the default portage ebuild script for
    > ruby-1.8.2_pre2 in order to get ri to work correctly. I suggested to
    > the maintainer of the portage script to add a "doc" USE flag to
    > control this.
    >
    > Did anyone else have the same issue I did? Is there a more clever way
    > around this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jason

    Jason,

    It looks like this works now--I have the doc USE flag set, and it went
    and built all the ri stuff (and I mean ALL the ri stuff).

    However...don't know if this is a gentoo problem or a Jamis problem, but
    ri is now broken for me. If I do (for example) "ri Array", I only get a
    handful of methods shown to me (abbrev, is_complex_yaml?, pretty_print,
    pretty_print_cycle, quote, to_yaml, to_yaml_type). Anyone else seen
    this? Is there a way to fix this so I can use ri again? Please?

    - Jamis

    Jamis Buck, Nov 4, 2004
  9. J. D.

    Jason Sweat Guest

    On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 02:39:49 +0900, Jamis Buck <> wrote:
    > Jason,
    >
    > It looks like this works now--I have the doc USE flag set, and it went
    > and built all the ri stuff (and I mean ALL the ri stuff).
    >
    > However...don't know if this is a gentoo problem or a Jamis problem, but
    > ri is now broken for me. If I do (for example) "ri Array", I only get a
    > handful of methods shown to me (abbrev, is_complex_yaml?, pretty_print,
    > pretty_print_cycle, quote, to_yaml, to_yaml_type). Anyone else seen
    > this? Is there a way to fix this so I can use ri again? Please?

    Here is what my "ri Array" command returns, is that more or less than
    you expected?:

    ----------------------------------------------------------- Class: Array
    Arrays are ordered, integer-indexed collections of any object.
    Array indexing starts at 0, as in C or Java. A negative index is
    assumed to be relative to the end of the array---that is, an index
    of -1 indicates the last element of the array, -2 is the next to
    last element in the array, and so on.

    Includes:
    ---------
    Enumerable(all?, any?, collect, detect, each_with_index, entries,
    find, find_all, grep, include?, inject, map, max, member?, min,
    partition, reject, select, sort, sort_by, to_a, to_set, zip)

    Class methods:
    --------------
    [], new

    Instance methods:
    -----------------
    &, *, +, -, <<, <=>, ==, [], []=, abbrev, assoc, at, clear,
    collect, collect!, compact, compact!, concat, delete, delete_at,
    delete_if, each, each_index, empty?, eql?, fetch, fill, first,
    flatten, flatten!, frozen?, hash, include?, index, indexes,
    indices, initialize_copy, insert, inspect, join, last, length, map,
    map!, nitems, pack, pop, push, rassoc, reject, reject!, replace,
    reverse, reverse!, reverse_each, rindex, select, shift, size,
    slice, slice!, sort, sort!, to_a, to_ary, to_s, transpose, uniq,
    uniq!, unshift, values_at, zip, |

    Regards,
    Jason
    --
    http://blog.casey-sweat.us/
    Jason Sweat, Nov 4, 2004
  10. J. D.

    Jason Sweat wrote:
    > On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 02:39:49 +0900, Jamis Buck <> wrote:
    >
    >>Jason,
    >>
    >>It looks like this works now--I have the doc USE flag set, and it went
    >>and built all the ri stuff (and I mean ALL the ri stuff).
    >>
    >>However...don't know if this is a gentoo problem or a Jamis problem, but
    >>ri is now broken for me. If I do (for example) "ri Array", I only get a
    >>handful of methods shown to me (abbrev, is_complex_yaml?, pretty_print,
    >>pretty_print_cycle, quote, to_yaml, to_yaml_type). Anyone else seen
    >>this? Is there a way to fix this so I can use ri again? Please?

    > Here is what my "ri Array" command returns, is that more or less than
    > you expected?:

    [snip]

    That is the minimum that I expected. (It's what ri used to return until
    I recompiled ruby with the doc USE flag enabled.)

    Here's the complete output from "ri18 Array" that I'm seeing:

    ----------------------------------------------------------- Class: Array
    Sequences: Array#to_yaml

    Instance methods:
    -----------------
    abbrev, is_complex_yaml?, pretty_print, pretty_print_cycle, quote,
    to_yaml, to_yaml_type

    And, for Object:

    ---------------------------------------------------------- Class: Object
    (no description...)

    Includes:
    ---------
    PP::ObjectMixin(pretty_print, pretty_print_cycle,
    pretty_print_inspect, pretty_print_instance_variables)

    Instance methods:
    is_complex_yaml?, to_yaml, to_yaml_properties, to_yaml_type

    I have no idea what is going on. Has anyone else seen this?

    - Jamis

    Jamis Buck, Nov 4, 2004