Rails, how do people figure out how to use it?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by anne001, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. anne001

    anne001 Guest

    Lately I have been trying various things and I am amazed at what all
    the new technology requires from people.

    I tried to install a wiki, following what seemed a straight forward
    tutorial, and I had to install mysql, search up and down the net to
    solve my error problems. Half of it was finding out that you have to
    start mysql somehow, before other things work. Luckily I had installed
    php for a flash project, so that was not new. I ended up removing
    mysql, upgrading php, mysql. Now I can't find the passwords, user names
    etc so I can't even use the wiki, if it is still there after
    unintalling reinstalling mysql to reset the root password!

    Today, I am trying to follow the agile web on rails, which also uses
    mysql, and I am back to hunting for ideas on what to do... As far as I
    can tell, I followed various fixes for tiger (fix 46, reinstal mysql
    gem, old password...) tried to figure out what to put,'root'@'localhost
    instead of 'dave'@'localhost', and what about "password:" in .yml,
    leave that blank as in the model? Despite my best efforts at
    deciphering the advice, terminal hangs on command from page 57
    ruby script/generate scaffold Product Admin
    I have no idea how to debug this, I just know I am not the only one,
    and my difficulty pails compared to some of the post I founds out there
    about "deployment" difficulties. I can't make head of tail of the
    problem or the fix:
    http://groups.google.com/group/rail...2fb9a5?q=database.yml&rnum=3#1c0134aff52fb9a5

    Is rails only for web developers and programmers? How much do you need
    to know to have a remote chance of trying this program? Just curious

    Our programmer uses java to put up pictures on the web in a timed
    fashion, and collect responses from subjects over the web. I wanted to
    do it with Rails...

    anne

    anne001, Jan 25, 2006

  2. anne001

    Guest

    Hi --

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, anne001 wrote:

    > Is rails only for web developers and programmers? How much do you need
    > to know to have a remote chance of trying this program? Just curious

    To answer the question in your subject line, on my own behalf: I was
    fortunate enough to have my first attempts at Rails take place while
    David Heinemeier Hansson was sitting behind me at a conference
    answering my questions on a private IRC channel. (Yes, I know it's
    bad manners for the conference organizers, of which I was one, to chat
    during people's talks. I usually don't -- I just couldn't resist :)

    Anyway... the kinds of questions you're asking are, in my experience,
    probably indeed best answered on IRC, where someone can suggest a
    small fix and you can try it out and see if it works on the spot. The
    Rails channel is #rubyonrails on irc.freenode.net.

    Rails is a Web development framework, so by definition it's for Web
    developers. On the other hand, the barriers to entry are relatively
    low, and once you get one application working you can experiment and
    learn simultaneously.

    David

    --
    David A. Black

    http://www.manning.com/books/black

    , Jan 25, 2006

  3. anne001

    James Britt Guest

    anne001 wrote:
    > Lately I have been trying various things and I am amazed at what all
    > the new technology requires from people.

    Many, if not most, open-source tools and libraries are written by geeks
    for geeks. Even when people take the time to write proper documentation
    there are often many, many assumptions made about the audience. Most
    assume that people are running on some *nix variant, know their way
    around the command line, have root access, a C complier, and a working
    knowledge of some ancillary technology (SQL, regular expressions, HTML,
    etc.)

    You best bet for getting going with Rails is to get the Rails book from
    Pragmatic Press, and join the Rails dev mailing list

    http://list.rubyonrails.org

    The Rails community is warm and welcoming to newcomers and will gladly
    help you get up to speed.

    James Britt

    James Britt, Jan 25, 2006
  4. If you think that's hard, get ready for what it takes to get a Java
    application server running. Heh. Looking at the thread you linked to,
    I'd say your troubles lie in a different place entirely. I'm not a
    big MySQL fan personally, but we can still probably get you up and
    running.

    Could you paste in your database.yml file, from the "config" folder
    inside your Rails app?
    If you have any passwords entered there, you should change them to
    nonsense before sending.

    Also, there is a whole mailing list for Rails where you are likely to
    get quicker assistance. If you post your reply there, I'd be happy to
    continue this discussion without bothering the main Ruby list:

    --Wilson.

    On 1/25/06, anne001 <> wrote:
    > Lately I have been trying various things and I am amazed at what all
    > the new technology requires from people.
    >
    > I tried to install a wiki, following what seemed a straight forward
    > tutorial, and I had to install mysql, search up and down the net to
    > solve my error problems. Half of it was finding out that you have to
    > start mysql somehow, before other things work. Luckily I had installed
    > php for a flash project, so that was not new. I ended up removing
    > mysql, upgrading php, mysql. Now I can't find the passwords, user names
    > etc so I can't even use the wiki, if it is still there after
    > unintalling reinstalling mysql to reset the root password!
    >
    > Today, I am trying to follow the agile web on rails, which also uses
    > mysql, and I am back to hunting for ideas on what to do... As far as I
    > can tell, I followed various fixes for tiger (fix 46, reinstal mysql
    > gem, old password...) tried to figure out what to put,'root'@'localhost
    > instead of 'dave'@'localhost', and what about "password:" in .yml,
    > leave that blank as in the model? Despite my best efforts at
    > deciphering the advice, terminal hangs on command from page 57
    > ruby script/generate scaffold Product Admin
    > I have no idea how to debug this, I just know I am not the only one,
    > and my difficulty pails compared to some of the post I founds out there
    > about "deployment" difficulties. I can't make head of tail of the
    > problem or the fix:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/rails_archive/browse_frm/thread/ff37b19ffb=

    a8e66e/1c0134aff52fb9a5?q=3Ddatabase.yml&rnum=3D3#1c0134aff52fb9a5

    Wilson Bilkovich, Jan 25, 2006
  5. anne001

    anne001 Guest

    Thank you for your responses. To fix my problems with too much
    technology, dbl suggest I use more! I have no idea what IRC is, but I
    suspect that is another install etc... I will pass! But I will try to
    hang on with the install thing. Worse comes to worse I will try
    locomotive which is supposed to
    be all in one.

    So I asked for help on the rubyonrails as Wilson and James suggested,
    which for some reason does not appear on the google archive? why is
    that. But it is on the regular list archive.

    thanks

    anne

    anne001, Jan 26, 2006
  6. anne001

    Gene Tani Guest

    anne001 wrote:
    > Thank you for your responses. To fix my problems with too much
    > technology, dbl suggest I use more! I have no idea what IRC is, but I
    > suspect that is another install etc... I will pass! But I will try to
    > hang on with the install thing. Worse comes to worse I will try
    > locomotive which is supposed to
    > be all in one.
    >
    > So I asked for help on the rubyonrails as Wilson and James suggested,
    > which for some reason does not appear on the google archive? why is
    > that. But it is on the regular list archive.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > anne

    I think this person had similar experience:

    http://www.downes.ca/cgi-bin/page.cgi?post=31620&format=full

    Gene Tani, Jan 26, 2006
  7. anne001

    anne001 Guest

    Thank you, in the end, the rails list is really busy! I followed the
    instructions on Gene's link on how to install on Tiger.
    starting in comment October 24, 2005
    These instructions work on OSX, most linux distros and FreeBSD ...

    I skipped the reinstallation of ruby since it works and I run the fix
    #46.
    It is soothing to run a bunch of things and see things happening even
    if you don't know what. I stopped at the compile php part, because I
    installed php5 from a package, and don't remember how to compile a
    binary of it, and don't know if I need to compile some mysql option
    too...

    So I don't know if it is all this install magic, or if it is rebooting
    the computer, but this time the script/generate ran all the way.

    thank you

    anne001, Jan 26, 2006
  8. anne001

    anne001 Guest

    >> Our programmer uses java to put up pictures on the web in a timed
    >> fashion, and collect responses from subjects over the web. I wanted to
    >> do it with Rails...

    >Well, think of Rails as a LEGO Mindstorms set. It has a lot of cool
    >components available to make it easier to build a robot...
    >So if you're not a programmer or builder of LEGO models,
    >you'd be better off getting someone else to do that for you, or buying a
    >RoboSapien.

    I don't agree that ordinary people (C programming engineers like me)
    should just hire people.
    That's precisely why I want to find a solution I can work with. I don't
    like to depend on an undergrad, just because he knows Java and I don't.
    I don't want to learn Java, but I like Ruby,
    so I think a ruby based application is the way to go, but maybe I need
    to find some other
    library rather then the rail framework.

    anne001, Jan 26, 2006