[Rails] Installation trouble

Alexander Kellett

oh and, thanks for making the report Eric :)
(should have said that earlier but debian
stuff really gets me riled :/)
i've forwarded this thread to the debian
package maintainer and hope that i'll get
some feedback soon.
Alex

Zach Dennis

Alexander said:
chatting to the ubuntu devels for a while brings up the following reports:
#290705
and the following message:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-ruby/2004/08/msg00002.html

apt-get install $(grep-available -n -s package -F source -X ruby1.8 |
grep lib)

From the link you posted above. This command is just entirely sweet...
I should have remembered that I need to run grep_available with 4
switches, and pipe that to another grep for all 'lib' packages and then
provide shell expansion via $() before calling apt-get install.

How could I have forgotten that little command... it must be me the
user, since Fumitoshi UKAI seemed to remember it so clearly.

Zach

Eric Schwartz

Austin Ziegler said:
I'm not going to disagree that RubyGems can't improve its error
messages; it can. But the reality is that this is not something that
RubyGems should ever be able to detect and prevent -- especially
since the error is coming *during the run process* and not during
the startup (e.g., not during a 'require' stage).

At least in my case (and I believe in the OP's), it *was* during a
'require' stage; specifically, inside
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb. I have not
devled deeply into this code, but it seems like that would be a good
place to intercept this.

-=Eric