    What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks for your help.

    John Reed
    Colotechpro at yahoo.com
    , Mar 15, 2005

  2. --AH+kv8CCoFf6qPuz

    John,

    In the future your answers would best be answered by the RoR mailing
    lists. http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails

    Anyways, the new version of RoR binds to the address 0.0.0.0 which means
    that it binds both to the internal and external interfaces.

    Try hitting http://127.0.0.1:3000 with your web browser or even the
    external IP/DNS name of your box on :3000.

    Good Luck,

    Brandon Philips

    --
    http://ifup.org

    --AH+kv8CCoFf6qPuz

    --AH+kv8CCoFf6qPuz--
    Brandon Philips, Mar 15, 2005

  3. Bill Guindon Guest

    Re: Rails problem - Trying code in "Rolling with Rails on Ruby" article

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 02:04:46 +0900,
    <> wrote:
    > I'm trying to get Rails up and running and following Curt Hibbs'
    > Rolling with Ruby on Rails - http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/5546.
    >
    > Part of the DOS window on Figure 7 of his documentation shows this:
    >
    > => Rails application started on http://127.0.0.1:3000
    >
    > My DOS window displays:
    > => Rails application started on http://0.0.0.0:3000
    >
    > This address doesn't come up in my browser.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    I saw that too, and found it to be a bit odd. The app did work on
    127.0.0.1 as expected tho'. 127.0.0.1 is the IP for 'localhost' which
    can be thought of as "this machine" if that helps any.

    --
    Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)
    Bill Guindon, Mar 15, 2005
  4. Aredridel Guest

    Re: Rails problem - Trying code in "Rolling with Rails on Ruby"article

    > > My DOS window displays:
    > > => Rails application started on http://0.0.0.0:3000
    > >
    > > This address doesn't come up in my browser.
    > >
    > > What am I doing wrong?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help.

    > I saw that too, and found it to be a bit odd. The app did work on
    > 127.0.0.1 as expected tho'. 127.0.0.1 is the IP for 'localhost' which
    > can be thought of as "this machine" if that helps any.

    The 0.0.0.0 means "any available IPs on this machine" -- so it binds to
    127.0.0.1, and whatever other IPs you have up.

    Odd, but that's how the BSD socket code started it.

    Ari
    Aredridel, Mar 15, 2005
  5. Bill Guindon Guest

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 02:26:14 +0900, Aredridel <> wrote:

    > > > My DOS window displays:
    > > > => Rails application started on http://0.0.0.0:3000
    > > >
    > > > This address doesn't come up in my browser.
    > > >
    > > > What am I doing wrong?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for your help.

    > > I saw that too, and found it to be a bit odd. The app did work on
    > > 127.0.0.1 as expected tho'. 127.0.0.1 is the IP for 'localhost' which
    > > can be thought of as "this machine" if that helps any.

    > The 0.0.0.0 means "any available IPs on this machine" -- so it binds to
    > 127.0.0.1, and whatever other IPs you have up.
    >
    > Odd, but that's how the BSD socket code started it.

    Well, that's one less item on the list of "things I do not know". Thx much.
    'course, the list is still quite long...

    --
    Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)
    Bill Guindon, Mar 15, 2005

    Re: Rails problem - Trying code in "Rolling with Rails on Ruby" article

    Thanks for all the help, guys. I should have made it clear that it
    wouldn't come up under http://127.0.0.1:3000, but once I ran ipconfig
    to get my IP address and used that instead of the one above, I got it
    to work.

    John
    , Mar 16, 2005
  7. Re: Rails problem - Trying code in "Rolling with Rails on Ruby" article

    I'm curious as to WHY the loopback address doesn't work. What sort of
    network config are you running?

    Michael Campbell, Mar 17, 2005