What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

John Reed
Colotechpro at yahoo.com

Brandon Philips

--AH+kv8CCoFf6qPuz

John,

In the future your answers would best be answered by the RoR mailing
lists. http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails

Anyways, the new version of RoR binds to the address 0.0.0.0 which means
that it binds both to the internal and external interfaces.

Try hitting http://127.0.0.1:3000 with your web browser or even the
external IP/DNS name of your box on :3000.

Good Luck,

Brandon Philips

I'm trying to get Rails up and running and following Curt Hibbs'
Rolling with Ruby on Rails - http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/5546.
=20
Part of the DOS window on Figure 7 of his documentation shows this:
=20
=3D> Rails application started on http://127.0.0.1:3000
=20
My DOS window displays:
=3D> Rails application started on http://0.0.0.0:3000
=20
This address doesn't come up in my browser.
=20
What am I doing wrong?
=20
Thanks for your help.
=20
John Reed
Colotechpro at yahoo.com
=20
=20

--
http://ifup.org

--AH+kv8CCoFf6qPuz

--AH+kv8CCoFf6qPuz--

Bill Guindon

I'm trying to get Rails up and running and following Curt Hibbs'
Rolling with Ruby on Rails - http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/5546.

Part of the DOS window on Figure 7 of his documentation shows this:

=> Rails application started on http://127.0.0.1:3000

My DOS window displays:
=> Rails application started on http://0.0.0.0:3000

This address doesn't come up in my browser.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

I saw that too, and found it to be a bit odd. The app did work on
127.0.0.1 as expected tho'. 127.0.0.1 is the IP for 'localhost' which
can be thought of as "this machine" if that helps any.

Aredridel

I saw that too, and found it to be a bit odd. The app did work on
127.0.0.1 as expected tho'. 127.0.0.1 is the IP for 'localhost' which
can be thought of as "this machine" if that helps any.

The 0.0.0.0 means "any available IPs on this machine" -- so it binds to
127.0.0.1, and whatever other IPs you have up.

Odd, but that's how the BSD socket code started it.

Ari

Bill Guindon

The 0.0.0.0 means "any available IPs on this machine" -- so it binds to
127.0.0.1, and whatever other IPs you have up.

Odd, but that's how the BSD socket code started it.

Well, that's one less item on the list of "things I do not know". Thx much.
'course, the list is still quite long...

colotechpro

Thanks for all the help, guys. I should have made it clear that it
wouldn't come up under http://127.0.0.1:3000, but once I ran ipconfig
to get my IP address and used that instead of the one above, I got it
to work.

John

Michael Campbell

I'm curious as to WHY the loopback address doesn't work. What sort of
network config are you running?