Rails question: changing individual attribute data

Sven Schott

Hi

I've started the tutorials on rails and I've really enjoyed it so far.
However, I have hit a bit of a snag. I've looked through the tutorials
and the API but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

I'm writing an application to store information on system
specifications. One of the things I would like it to do, is to not
delete records but instead 'unlink' them(set the id to 0). I know the
attributes method allows you to replace all the values but I only want
to replace the id value. I messed around with it until I didn't get an
error but I still can't get it to work. Help! Help! Any ideas,
suggestion, criticisms, abuse; hell, I'll take anything useful at this
point.

Here's the code I have so far:

def destroy
@system = System.find(@params["id"])
@system.id = 0
@system.save

redirect_to :action => "list"
end

I don't know if this code does anything useful. :)

I am running ruby 1.9.0 (2004-03-09) [powerpc-darwin] on MacOS 10.3.7
on a Powerbook G4. Rails is installed via gem:

actionmailer (0.4.0)
Service layer for easy email delivery and testing.

actionpack (0.9.5)
Web-flow and rendering framework putting the VC in MVC.

activerecord (1.1.0)
Implements the ActiveRecord pattern for ORM.

rails (0.8.5)
Web-application framework with template engine, control-flow layer,
and ORM.

rake (0.4.12, 0.4.11)
Ruby based make-like utility.

sources (0.0.1)
This package provides download sources for remote gem installation

The views are the standard tutorial views. They work fine until I try
the code above.

Also, is there a rails book in the works? I would really, really like
one. I would pay exorbitant amounts of money for it.

Much obliged,

Sven Schott

P.S. Thank you very much to the fine gentleman who wrote rails. Once I
get the hang of it, I will throw Filemaker out the window.

Sven Schott

Sorry about the noise. I scoured the API docs and found the answer.

@system['field']="value"

I didn't know it was just a hash. Nice.

Sven