Rails: Seeing Apache Page instead of the Congratulations Page

Jenjhiz

Hello,
When I point my browser to http://localhost:3000/, I get the "Seeing
this instead of the website you expected?" Apache page. I don't get the
"Congratulations, you've put Ruby on Rails" page.
How do i correct this problem?
Thank you.
gk

gregarican

Jenjhiz said:
Hello,
When I point my browser to http://localhost:3000/, I get the "Seeing
this instead of the website you expected?" Apache page. I don't get the
"Congratulations, you've put Ruby on Rails" page.
How do i correct this problem?
Thank you.
gk

Have you checked through the various log files? If you look under your
Apache directories you will see some pertaining to the web server
itself. Then depending on what root directory you installed Ruby on
Rails in you will also have log files there pertaining to the
application services it provides. One of these locations should help
narrow things down for you...

Jenjhiz

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I poked around the log files and nothing
there suggests anything irregular. What should I be looking for?
gk

Belorion

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I poked around the log files and nothing
there suggests anything irregular. What should I be looking for?
gk
=20

Quick question -- does your docroot for that rails app contain
app/public/index.html? If so, and you don't get the congratulations
page, then I would guess that there is a configuration problem and
apache isn't aware of the correct docroot for that app.

You will also want to make sure you have properly configured your
htaccess in app/public/.htaccess. If you are using fcgi, make sure
the rewrite rule points to dispatch.fcgi, not fcgi. And make sure
your ruby paths are correct.

gregarican

Belorion said:
You will also want to make sure you have properly configured your
htaccess in app/public/.htaccess. If you are using fcgi, make sure
the rewrite rule points to dispatch.fcgi, not fcgi. And make sure
your ruby paths are correct.

Another thing to check is the Apache httpd.conf file. There should be
references to Rails existing in the proper docroot and whatnot. If they
aren't there then Apache doesn't see Rails...