Rails suggestions/examples on Rails view architecture for spreadsheet-liketables?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Kenneth McDonald, Apr 26, 2007.

  1. I'm building an application where the user is working with something
    that is a combination of a spreadsheet and an outliner (a statement of
    corporate finances, actually). This requires the user to work with
    multiple data points arranged in a spreadsheet-like presentation (a
    grid). Each individual data point can be stored as a record, but the
    user should not need to work with the data on a record-by-record basis;
    instead, they should be able to select a cell (ideally by keyboard as
    well as by mouse), edit the data in it, and then continue in the same way.

    At the moment I'm not too worried about recalculations--they can be done
    on the server and passed back by Ajax. I'm just trying to figure out the
    best way to use views and other Rails features to get the desired UI.
    Both the presentation of multiple records in a grid, and the desire to
    move seamlessly in that grid, aren't supported by Rail's builtin
    functionality, as far as I can tell.

    Does anyone have any suggestions, or examples to point to? I'm sure I
    can find a nasty, difficult way to do this, but it'd be nice if someone
    else could advise me of an elegant, easy way :).

    Thanks,
    Ken
    Kenneth McDonald, Apr 26, 2007