    Is it just because of the large amount of stuff it has to write to
    disk? I don't have a lot of memory...is that the main problem?

    , Dec 23, 2005

  2. Gene Tani Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm using sysloglogger from here...
    >
    > http://rails-analyzer.rubyforge.org/hacks/classes/SyslogLogger.html
    >
    > but it causes my website to run 10x slower. It looks like there's heavy
    > IO wait. Does anyone know why this may be?
    >
    > Is it just because of the large amount of stuff it has to write to
    > disk? I don't have a lot of memory...is that the main problem?

    (not trying to be nasty, but i think the canonical answer is you'll get
    an answer faster at the rails list

    Gene Tani, Dec 23, 2005

  3. Lou Vanek Guest

    a hard disk is roughly 100x slower than IO over a wire because it
    has mechanically moving parts. So seeing a 10x slowdown is reasonable.

    putting the following line in your rails environment.rb file should speed
    things up since it will minimize logging output to the hard disk:

    config.log_level = :fatal

    Lou Vanek, Dec 23, 2005
  4. kenlet Guest

    What are the other available log levels?

    kenlet, Dec 27, 2005