Rails - undefined method `headers'

Clay Culver

Sorry for the complete newbie question, but this seems like it should
be so obvious. I've created a Controller called Welcome. The
welcome_controller.rb contains this:

class WelcomeController < ApplicationController
def index
@response = "hello world"
end
end

I have a view for welcome called "index.rhtml" that contains this:

<head>
<title>Test</html>
</head>
<%= @responce %>

This seems like it would be a no brainer, but when I go to the page I
get this error:

undefined method `headers' for "":String
Extracted source (around line #46):

43:
44:
45: <h2 style="margin-top: 30px">Response</h2>
46: <b>Headers</b>: <%=h @response.headers.inspect.gsub(/,/, ",\n")
%><br/>

Dave Burt

Clay Culver asked:
[...]

---

What exactly am I doing wrong? I know I could just use render_text but
I'm trying to do something more complex, but I can't seem to make this
work. =/

You have two problems:
1) You overwrote the built-in variable @response with a string ("hello
world")
2) You misspelt "@responce" in your view.

The answer is simply to change the name of your variable to something Rails
isn't trying to use behind the scenes.

Finally, prefer the Rails community for questions like these: the Freenode
IRC channel and the mailing list.

Cheers,
Dave