rake aborted! -- Help

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by kublaikhan55@hotmail.com, Aug 8, 2006.

    I posted this problem on the rails forum, but got no reply. Hoping
    someone here may be able to lead me to a resolution.

    When I run

    > rake db:migrate

    Rake aborts with the following message:

    rake aborted!
    No Rakefile found (looking for: rakefile, Rakefile, rakefile.rb,
    Rakefile.rb)
    C:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.7.1/lib/rake.rb:1822:in
    `load_rakefile'

    rakefile exists in:

    C:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.7.1/

    Putting copies of Rakefile and rakefile.rb in the directory where
    rake.rb is doesn't help.

    Help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    gk

    , Aug 8, 2006

  2. kate rhodes Guest

    On 8/8/06, <> wrote:

    > When I run
    >
    > > rake db:migrate

    > Rake aborts with the following message:
    >
    > rake aborted!
    > No Rakefile found (looking for: rakefile, Rakefile, rakefile.rb,
    > Rakefile.rb)

    the error says it all. It can't find a file named rake, Rakefile, or
    rakefile.rb in the directory you're in.

    for more details follow the instructions in the rest of the error message

    --
    - kate = masukomi

    kate rhodes, Aug 8, 2006

  3. Bira Guest

    On 8/8/06, <> wrote:

    > Putting copies of Rakefile and rakefile.rb in the directory where
    > rake.rb is doesn't help.

    The rakefile should be in the directory you are executing the command
    from. Rake looks there first, and if it finds nothing, it looks on the
    parents of that directory.

    I think it's better to put the rakefile in the root directory of your
    project, and to execute rake from there (similar to what I'd do with
    an Ant file).

    --
    Bira
    http://compexplicita.blogspot.com

    Bira, Aug 8, 2006

    Bira,

    Great advice! I checked all downloaded Rails apps and, indeed, rakefile
    is in the application root directory. It must be that when Rails
    creates an application, it copies rakefile into the application root.
    For some reason, I lost the rakefile in my Rails application directory.
    I put it back there, and, lo and behold ... it works!

    Thanks for the help.
    gk