Rake doesn't recognise that rubyzip gem is installed

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Max Williams, Mar 8, 2010.

  1. Max Williams

    Max Williams Guest

    Hi all. First of all apologies for a rails-ish post but i think this is
    a more general ruby gems problem.

    I'm trying to freeze the rubyzip gem into an app with rake, and get an
    error that it isn't installed. But it is installed:

    > gem list | grep zip

    rubyzip (0.9.1)

    I have this line in my config:
    config.gem "rubyzip", :version => '0.9.1'

    And now i try to do
    rake gems:install

    It bombs out with a big stack trace, which is included at the bottom of
    this post for reference, with final part being:

    Missing these required gems:
    rubyzip = 0.9.1

    You're running:
    ruby 1.8.6.111 at /usr/bin/ruby1.8
    rubygems 1.3.5 at /home/max/.gem/ruby/1.8, /var/lib/gems/1.8

    Run `rake gems:install` to install the missing gems.

    Which is telling me to do what i just tried to do.

    Any ideas anyone? I have the exact same problem with the
    memcache-client gem as well.

    grateful for any advice - max

    Max Williams, Mar 8, 2010

  2. Max Williams

    Max Williams Guest

    (SOLVED)Rake doesn't recognise that rubyzip gem is installed

    Solved the problem - google revealed that i need to add :lib =>
    "zip/zip" to my config.gem call, ie

    config.gem "rubyzip", :version => '0.9.1', :lib => "zip/zip"

    Then i was able to freeze it into the app with
    rake gems:unpack

    Thanks for reading - if anyone wants to explain the logic of this to me
    i'd be happy to know - it seems like a random obstacle to me.
    max

    Max Williams, Mar 8, 2010