Rake Hates Me Today

James Edward Gray II

I'm trying to package up a new gem to release, but Rake and I just
can't seem to get along today. In my Rakefile I have:

Rake::GemPackageTask.new(spec) do |pkg|
pkg.need_zip = true
pkg.need_tar = true
end

When I try to run that it does build the gem, but then complains with:

rake aborted!
no such option: noop

Commenting out the need_... calls removes the issue, but I really do
need the archives too.

Any tips?

Thanks.

James Edward Gray II

Jim Weirich

I'm trying to package up a new gem to release, but Rake and I just
can't seem to get along today. In my Rakefile I have:

Rake::GemPackageTask.new(spec) do |pkg|
pkg.need_zip = true
pkg.need_tar = true
end

When I try to run that it does build the gem, but then complains with:

rake aborted!
no such option: noop

This is caused by a changed in the FileUtils package the Rake uses. There is
a beta version of Rake available that doesn't have that problem. You can get
the beta with:

gem install rake --source http://onestepback.org/betagems

Hugh Sasse

This is caused by a changed in the FileUtils package the Rake uses. There is
a beta version of Rake available that doesn't have that problem. You can get
the beta with:

What's the change that broke it? I suggested a change recently but
tried to ensure it was backwards compatible (a change to recursive
copy to allow the skipping of failures). This was post 1.8.3.
Hugh

Jim Weirich

What's the change that broke it? =A0I suggested a change recently but
tried to ensure it was backwards compatible =A0(a change to recursive
copy to allow the skipping of failures). =A0This was post 1.8.3. =A0

The FileUtils.cd command no long accepts a :noop option.

--=20
-- Jim Weirich (e-mail address removed) http://onestepback.org