Rakefile and simplecov

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Markus Fischer, Apr 18, 2011.

  1. Hi,

    I've a Rakefile generated by jeweler. It uses rcov default but that
    doesn't properly work with 1.9 (I'm using 1.9.2), so I'd like to enable
    simplecov for my tests. I've used simplecov successfully without a Rakefile.

    I added

    gem "simplecov", ">= 0.4.0"

    to Gemfile and modified the test task:

    require 'rake/testtask'
    require 'simplecov'
    Rake::TestTask.new:)test) do |test|
    SimpleCov.start do
    add_filter 'test_'
    end
    test.libs << 'lib' << 'test'
    test.pattern = 'test/**/test_*.rb'
    test.verbose = true
    end

    simplecov is executed, but doesn't record anything:

    Coverage report generated for rake to coverage. 0 / 0 LOC (0.0%) covered.

    As far as I can see, simplecov doesn't provide a ready rake task, how
    can I use it in this case? I've gone through the rake documentation but
    didn't spot anything obvious I'm missing.

    thanks,
    - Markus

    Markus Fischer, Apr 18, 2011

  2. Steve Klabnik, Apr 18, 2011

  3. On 18.04.2011 18:11, Steve Klabnik wrote:
    > I'm not super familiar with simplecov, but i just merged a patch that
    > implements it on one of my projects this morning:
    >
    > https://github.com/hotsh/rstat.us/commit/3b21c68e20f97de1090c75cbe34d099700e34d65
    >
    > Hope that helps you? It runs the coverage report on every task, though.

    Thanks, that helped at least get some result. However the coverage
    itself is wrong, it's not 12.8% (80/625 LOC), when the real coverage
    (standalone without rake) is 597 / 626 LOC (95.37%).

    Without the Rakefile, all I do is

    $ cat mylib_simplecov.rb
    require 'simplecov'
    SimpleCov.start do
    add_filter '_test'
    end
    require_relative 'mylib_test'

    and mylib_test starts with

    $ head mylib_test.rb
    require 'test/unit'
    require_relative 'mylib'

    module MylibTests
    class Misc < Test::Unit::TestCase

    and that's all and it works.

    I thought moving to jeweler and all the other stuff makes things easier,
    but currently it made it just harder :/

    - Markus

    Markus Fischer, Apr 18, 2011