random 401.2 and 500 error

dave

hi,
I have software in tens desktops, the software is developed in c# and
it trying to send XML stream to a server by POST mode to aspx file that
exist in some VD.
The sending is with the Httpwebrequest class, and the software is
running in local system permissions (service).
Also, the code contains htts authentication and it create
networkcredentials with some name and password.

In the server side - I have IIS 6 that get anonymous sessions, but
the VD permission is Integrated windows authentication only and in the
web.config file that contains in the VD, there is the tag with the
identity impersonate="true" and inside there is the same name and
password that the client sent in the http auth.

The clients are staying in WAN (nor LAN), and most of them sending the
stream with success , but some of them failed and got error from the
server - 401.2 (Logon failed due to server configuration) or 500
(Internal server error).

Anyone knows how could it happen?

I really appreciate any help,
Thanks,
Dov

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

the 401.2 is usually caused by attempting to use ntlm security though a
proxy that does not support it. (requires session keep alive support)

the 500 error is you application aborting, usually a security problem.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)