Random credentials request

Brad Coble

First, please forgive me I'm new here. This question may already have been
answered. I have a Win2K3 server running IIS6 only on our intranet. My plan
was to use our domain to authenticate users.

Here is what I set in web.config:

<authentication mode="Windows"/>

<roleManager enabled="true" defaultProvider="WindowsProvider">
<providers>
<clear/>
<add name="WindowsProvider"
type="System.Web.Security.WindowsTokenRoleProvider"/>
</providers>
</roleManager>

<authorization>
<deny users="?"/>
</authorization>

And under locations

<location path="mx">
<system.web>
<authorization>
<allow roles="automation"/>
<deny users="*"/>
</authorization>
</system.web>
</location>

My expectations for this setup is that all authenticated users(logged in via
our domain) can get to all pages except those that are setup under location.
It works ok except that sometimes, not always, when a user browses to a page
it doesnt like their authentication and forces a request for credentials.

Any ideas why? Thanks!!

Brad Coble

Luke Zhang [MSFT]

Hello Brad,

Is this problem reproducable? For example, only with a particular user,
only on a particular computer, or only when access a particular web page?
When a user encounter such a problem, if he close all IE windows or even a
reboot, will this fix the problem?

Luke Zhang
rights.)

Brad Coble

No not really. It has happened to me on occasion and i have admin rights on
all machines. It seems to be random. You can close out the dialog that pops
up, refresh the page and it recognizes the user. It has happened on several
different machines and with different user accounts.

Luke Zhang [MSFT]

Did this problem reported within another web application on the same
server? From my experience, this is more like a IIS or NT domain issue. If
the probelm occurs frequently, you may enable IIS log to see if you can get
more information from there. (Also, it is worthy a try to check system
event log).

And, if you enable the "cacheRolesInCookie" property:

<roleManager defaultProvider="WindowsProvider"
enabled="true"
cacheRolesInCookie="true">

Will this help?

Luke Zhang