Random integer within a range?

Reiichi Tyrael

I must create a little game; the one who play it must choose 2 numbers,
the beginning and the end of a range, and the program generate a secret
random number within that range, so the player must guess it!
But the problem is...how do I generate a random number?
I though at something like this:

number_to_guess = rand(n1..n2)

but it give me the error message "in `rand': can't convert Range into
Integer (TypeError)"

What can I do? Thanks!

David Springer

Reiichi Tyrael,

Is the range inclusive OR exclusive?

Should n1 OR n2 be reurned sometimes or never?

David Springer

Reiichi said:
Inclusive!

Okay, I'll assume that these are two different positive integers.

Try this:

number_to_guess = (n2 > n1) ? n1 + rand((n2-n1+1)) : n2 +
rand((n1-n2+1))

Robert Klemme

I must create a little game; the one who play it must choose 2 numbers,
the beginning and the end of a range, and the program generate a secret
random number within that range, so the player must guess it!
But the problem is...how do I generate a random number?
I though at something like this:

number_to_guess = rand(n1..n2)

but it give me the error message "in `rand': can't convert Range into
Integer (TypeError)"

What can I do? Thanks!

rand only accepts an integer which will make it produce values in the
range 0...n (exclusive). So you can do:

irb(main):001:0> low, high = 12, 56
=> [12, 56]
irb(main):002:0> r = low + rand(high - low)
=> 54

Kind regards

robert

Robert Klemme

Inclusive!

Sorry, I answered before seeing this email. In that case it should be

irb(main):003:0> low, high = 12, 34
=> [12, 34]
irb(main):004:0> r = low + rand(high + 1 - low)
=> 22

You can also do something like this:

irb(main):012:0> (low..high).to_a.sample
=> 21
irb(main):013:0> (low..high).to_a.sample
=> 27

Although in that case you should store the array somewhere for
efficiency reasons.

Kind regards

robert

Reiichi Tyrael

It's work! Thank you David!
But there is no way to do it like in my version "rand(n1..n2)"? It's
more friendly that way XD

Siep Korteling

Reiichi said:
It's work! Thank you David!
But there is no way to do it like in my version "rand(n1..n2)"? It's
more friendly that way XD

#ruby 1.9
puts (10..20).to_a.sample
#ruby 1.8.6
puts (10..20).to_a.sort_by{rand}.pop

hth,

Siep

Brian Candler

Reiichi said:
It's work! Thank you David!
But there is no way to do it like in my version "rand(n1..n2)"? It's
more friendly that way XD

Sure:

def myrand(r=nil)
if r.is_a?(Range)
rand(r.last - r.first + (r.exclude_end? ? 0 : 1)) + r.first
else
rand(r)
end
end

Or if you prefer:

module Kernel
alias :eek:rig_rand :rand
def rand(r=nil)
if r.is_a?(Range)
orig_rand(r.last - r.first + (r.exclude_end? ? 0 : 1)) + r.first
else
orig_rand(r)
end
end
end

I suspect it's not implemented in Ruby because it's not obvious what
rand(0.3..5.7) should do.

Run Paint Run Run

Under Ruby 1.9:

10.times.map{ Random.new.rand(20..30) } #=> [26, 26, 22, 20, 30,
26, 23, 23, 25, 22]