Random "The IListSource does not contain any datasources" and more (Crashing a live site at random,

Lars-Erik Aabech

Hi!

We've got an ASP.NET application that runs swell on development PC's and one
live production server. Another prod. server though crashes a couple of
times a week. Either something that should be bound reports that column X
isn't found, or that the IListSource does not contain any datasources. We
get the solution up again by restarting aspnet_wp. This may happen if
aspnet_wp is at 40 mb or 400mb, so it's not memory related. The SQL Server
has about 40 total connections and the connectionstring uses default
pooling.
I've ran div. stress tests with ACT, but can't reproduce the error. The
solution runs fine with 10 users at once (test agains workstation), and none
of the requests generated reports status 500.

Anyone have any ideas about how to solve this or how to reproduce the error?

Lars-Erik
- soon to be placed in a mental institution

Kevin Yu [MSFT]

Hi Lars-Erik

We have reviewed this issue and are currently researching on it. We will
update you ASAP. Thanks for your patience!

Kevin Yu
=======
rights."

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Lars,

Based on your description, the problem occurs randomly per week and seems
not related to memory consumption, I'm thinking the problem likely related
to your application's code logic. For example, is there any COM components
used in your application which is intialized at startup time and clearup at
shutdown time of the app. And have you turn off your asp.net application's
debug option in the web.config at the production server?

BTW, looking at the nature of this issue, it would require intensive
troubleshooting(dump analyze) which would be done quickly and effectively
with direct assistance from a Microsoft Support Professional through
Microsoft Product Support Services. If you feel this is an urgent issue, I
recommend that you contact Microsoft Product Support directly to discuss
additional support options you may have available, by contacting us at
1-(800)936-5800 or by choosing one of the options listed at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

Hi, guys!

Thanks for your swift replies. I could sum this up with yes, yes and yes,
but I'll elaborate a bit here before I eventually open a support case. ( I
hope you still follow the thread ;) )

The application uses a lot of COM interop (going away in half a year).
Nothing is initialized at Application start though. I'm not sure what I
should troubleshoot here, but I could have a look at the amount of instanced
objects in the COM+ management when we get the error.
We always release "release" builds to the production servers, but I'm not
sure if we've done anything with the web.config file. I'll check that too.

I've seen one issue reporting this error, but that was an issue where the
controls were attempted bound by Page_Load, and the data is loaded by
Control.Load - I guess that would make the control crash every time, not just
once or twice a week?
Our case happens with a control that loads and binds itself in .load, or a
control that's bound by page after a call to a local webservice is done to
retrieve a dataset. Both gives the mentioned behaviors. I guess there's more
in the other 30-40 pages, but these are the ones we've seen so far.

I tried the link you provided, but ended up with a norwegian custom 404.
This is actually a very urgent issue, but I'm not prepared to take the budget
hit just yet ;)

Thanks again for your help. Hope you can help me get a bit closer, or direct
me to some support personell who can help. (Do I have to contact the US by
phone?)

Lars-Erik

Lars-Erik Aabech

Hi again!

I have set the compilation element's debug attribute to false in
web.config - I recon I have to recompile to make this effective? I thought
this was ruled by the project configuratiion setting..? Anyway, we're
constantly monitoring the server and waiting for the error to re-appear. :)
(Crashed this morning before I got down to this thread again)

I'm also opening a case with product support, but I'll keep updating this
thread.

Lars-Erik

Lars-Erik Aabech

Well, still crashing with debug=false :) Just crashed again... It seems like
the crash is occuring more and more often.

L-E

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi L-E,

Thanks for your followup. Since you mentioned the crash occurs more and
more often, I think the problem become more regular and will be easy for
the PSS guys to TS. Have they asked for some dump files from you ? Anyway,
it'll be great appreciate that you provide the further result of the
problem so that many other ones can have a reference later.

Thanks & Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Lars-Erik Aabech

Hi again! :)

We're waiting for the problem to start again. Getting a bit annoyed now as
it's been running for 24 hours.
When the problem arises we've got some commands to run to create dumps and
we'll take it from there with the support guys.
I'll update the thread when and if we locate the problem. :)
(For now it seems like there is one particular page that crashes first each
time it happens - we're focusing the search a bit)

Lars-Erik

Lars-Erik Aabech

For the guys googling this:
I haven't found a solution yet. The application has been running fine again
for a while, so I'm not even sure if the problem is still there. There are
actually a few changes since my first post, but I can't prove that they have
solved anything. The application is now running in isolated mode on iis and
a .net Enterprise Service class running in COM+ has got 200 as max pool
instead of 50.

Anyway, I'll update the thread if something happens again.
Until then.. :)

Lars-Erik

GenesisGai