Randomly occuring "Compilation Error"

Nick Gilbert

Hi,

I recently upgraded a website from ASP.NET 1.1 to 2.0. While working on
the site and changing aspx or ascx files, I sometimes randomly get a
compilation error after refreshing the page in the browser (NOT when
building the project from within VS.NET). The only way to fix it is to
clean the project and rebuild it - then reload the page again. This
behaviour is very annoying and I can't work out what's causing it. None
of my other solutions on the same machine have this problem.

The error message I see in the browser is below:

Compilation Error

required to service this request. Please review the following specific
error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS0006: Metadata file
'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\projectname\b877a173\9e5bbe12\App_global.asax.a8yaarqf.dll' could
not be found

Source Error:
[No relevant source lines]

Can anybody tell me how I can fix this please?

Thanks,

Nick...

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Nick,

The symptom you described is very similar to one of known issues in VS2005
which was just fixed by product team recently. Therefore unfortunately it's
not included in VS2005 SP1. It will be available in next version of Visual
Studio -- Orcas. We're sorry for the inconvenience.

The issue I'm referring to only exists in developing environment (while
debugging) and works fine in production environment.

I'm afraid for now you will have to clean the tempoary asp.net files and
reset IIS to make it work when the issue occurs. I've written following
batch file to do that automatically:

--------------------

Dim WshShell, oExec
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WScript.Echo "iisreset will be executed"
Set oExec = WshShell.Exec("iisreset")

Do While oExec.Status = 0
WScript.Sleep 100
Loop

WScript.Echo oExec.Status

WScript.Echo "iisreset ->finished."

Dim fso, f

' you need to modify the folder path
Set f =
fso.GetFolder("C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary
ASP.NET Files\WebAppX")
f.delete
Set fso = nothing
WScript.Echo "web folder was deleted."

------------------

Save above content in a file with extension ".vbs" and use "cscript.exe" or
"wscript.exe" execute it when the issue occurs.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.

Nick Gilbert

Hi Walter,

Is there a hotfix for this problem as it has become very irritating. I
seem to have to do a full rebuild nearly every time I change an aspx
page now. This only happens on one of my projects and all the others are
fine.

Nick...

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Nick,

You could use one of your MSDN subscription support incident tickets or
contact Microsoft Product Support and Service directly to open a service
request. Since it's a confirmed bug, the service request will be free of
charge. After you contacted PSS, you can contact me and I will provide the
internal bug ID of this issue so that PSS will know better about the issue.
Thanks.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Nick Gilbert

Hi Walter,

How do I create a "support incident ticket" as you suggest? The only way
I can see of raising a support request requires payment.

Nick...

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Nick,

an MSDN Subscriber, you are entitled to receive up to four support
incidents depending on your subscription level. If you have used up all
your free support incidents, you may need to pay first. However, for
product issues, you could ask for refund when contacting with a support
engineer.

Let me know if you other questions.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support