Ranking Modelsim Coverage results using Python for Speed? !

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Paddy3118, Jul 26, 2008.

  1. Paddy3118

    Paddy3118 Guest

    Paddy3118, Jul 26, 2008

  2. On Sat, 26 Jul 2008, Paddy3118 wrote:

    |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    |"Modelsim's ucdb seems slow when ranking tests: |
    | http://paddy3118.blogspot.com/2008/07/ranking-modelsim-coverage-results-using.html|
    | |
    |- Paddy." |
    |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

    From that webpage of Paddy's:

    |"[..] |
    | |
    |Saturday, July 26, 2008 |
    |Ranking Modelsim Coverage results using Python for Speed? ! |
    | |
    |I have a problem with ranking tests at work -it just takes too long |
    |and the 'obvious algorithm' should be much quicker. |
    | |
    | |
    |The Task |
    |I should explain that we use modelsim for simulating a processor |
    |described in Verilog RTL and create PSL assertions and cover |
    |statements to help with the verification. Periodically we run coverage|
    |simulations and create coverage databases for each test that contains |
    |the coverage information for each PSL cover or assert statement. |
    | |
    |[..] |
    | |
    |The Problem |
    | We have a problem however with the Modelsim 'vcover ranktest' command|
    | that we use to perform the ranking. It takes around ten hours to rank|
    | ~5000 tests when we were hoping for around one hour. |
    | |
    |[..] |
    | |
    |My program, is 120 lines of Python and took a minute to run! |
    | |
    |[..]" |

    Congratulations.

    Colin Paul Gloster, Jul 27, 2008

  3. On Sat, 26 Jul 2008, Paddy3118 wrote:

    |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    |"Modelsim's ucdb seems slow when ranking tests: |
    | http://paddy3118.blogspot.com/2008/07/ranking-modelsim-coverage-results-using.html|
    | |
    |- Paddy." |
    |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

    From that webpage of Paddy's:

    |"[..] |
    | |
    |Saturday, July 26, 2008 |

    Colin Paul Gloster, Jul 27, 2008
  4. On Sat, 26 Jul 2008, Paddy3118 wrote:

    |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    |"Modelsim's ucdb seems slow when ranking tests: |
    | http://paddy3118.blogspot.com/2008/07/ranking-modelsim-coverage-results-using.html|
    | |
    |- Paddy." |
    |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

    From that webpage of Paddy's:

    |"[..] |
    | |
    |Saturday, July 26, 2008 |

    Colin Paul Gloster, Jul 27, 2008
  5. Paddy3118

    Paddy3118 Guest

    Re: Ranking Modelsim Coverage results using Python for Speed? ! - NewVersion 6.4a

    On 26 Jul, 19:11, Paddy3118 <> wrote:
    > Modelsim's ucdb seems slow when ranking tests:
    >  http://paddy3118.blogspot.com/2008/07/ranking-modelsim-coverage-resul....
    >
    > - Paddy.

    Mentor have just released Modelsim version 6.4a and an early test has
    shown rank times going down from 60 minutes to 1min 20 seconds.

    That will do nicely! If other tests work out, then I can remove my
    Python program.

    - Paddy.

    Paddy3118, Sep 18, 2008