    work fine.

    Any comments, critiques, questions or suggestions on the html/css, layout or
    mechanics of the page very welcome!

    Nik Coughlin, Sep 29, 2006

  2. Fleeing from the madness of the CLEAR Net New Zealand
    http://www.clear.net.nz - Complaints jungle
    Nik Coughlin <> stumbled into
    and said:

    > Next version is http://rankmylist.com/testTabs/

    Not Found
    The requested URL /testTabs/ was not found on this server.

    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an
    ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Apache/1.3.36 Server at rankmylist.com Port 80

    --
    William Tasso

    http://williamtasso.com/words/what-is-usenet.asp

    William Tasso, Sep 29, 2006

  3. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin, Sep 29, 2006
  4. Nik Coughlin wrote

    > http://rankmylist.com/tabTest/

    Visually it's very nice indeed, clean, easy to read, uncluttered.

    As a concept I think it's bonkers. It's a website that tells you how much
    you like things? Do you need to be told that? Don't you already know
    that? Will there be a rush of people visiting to remember what they like
    most?

    --
    Charles Sweeney
    http://CharlesSweeney.com

    Charles Sweeney, Sep 29, 2006
  5. Nik Coughlin

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Charles Sweeney wrote:

    > As a concept I think it's bonkers. It's a website that tells you how much
    > you like things? Do you need to be told that? Don't you already know
    > that? Will there be a rush of people visiting to remember what they like
    > most?

    A very good point.

    An improvement in usefulness would be a way to save my list as, say,
    http://rankmylist.com/my_film_list, and save my rankings as
    http://rankmylist.com/my_film_list/toby. Then I could invite people to
    visit http://rankmylist.com/my_film_list/ and rank the list too -- and
    they could save it as http://rankmylist.com/my_film_list/dave or
    http://rankmylist.com/my_film_list/bob. http://rankmylist.com/my_film_list/
    could display an overall set of rankings.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Sep 29, 2006
  6. Nik Coughlin

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > http://rankmylist.com/tabTest/

    Make a list of red, green, yellow, blue and click "apply". The first
    time it asks, vote for either of the two colours (doesn't matter), now
    repeatedly click "I can't decide" and look at the rankings. :)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Sep 29, 2006
  7. Nik Coughlin

    wayne Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> http://rankmylist.com/tabTest/

    > Make a list of red, green, yellow, blue and click "apply". The first
    > time it asks, vote for either of the two colours (doesn't matter), now
    > repeatedly click "I can't decide" and look at the rankings. :)

    Choose one of the other colors after the above directions and click "I
    can't decide" again.

    --
    Wayne
    http://www.glenmeadows.us

    wayne, Sep 29, 2006
  8. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    wayne wrote:
    > Toby Inkster wrote:
    >> Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://rankmylist.com/tabTest/

    >> Make a list of red, green, yellow, blue and click "apply". The first
    >> time it asks, vote for either of the two colours (doesn't matter),
    >> now repeatedly click "I can't decide" and look at the rankings. :)
    >>

    > Choose one of the other colors after the above directions and click "I
    > can't decide" again.

    Haha, it never used to do that, will have to have a look, thanks.

    Nik Coughlin, Sep 29, 2006
  9. Toby Inkster wrote

    > Charles Sweeney wrote:
    >
    >> As a concept I think it's bonkers. It's a website that tells you how
    >> much you like things? Do you need to be told that? Don't you
    >> already know that? Will there be a rush of people visiting to
    >> remember what they like most?

    > A very good point.
    >
    > An improvement in usefulness would be a way to save my list as, say,
    > http://rankmylist.com/my_film_list, and save my rankings as
    > http://rankmylist.com/my_film_list/toby. Then I could invite people to
    > visit http://rankmylist.com/my_film_list/ and rank the list too -- and
    > they could save it as http://rankmylist.com/my_film_list/dave or
    > http://rankmylist.com/my_film_list/bob.
    > http://rankmylist.com/my_film_list/ could display an overall set of
    > rankings.

    Yes, that could be interesting.

    --
    Charles Sweeney
    http://CharlesSweeney.com

    Charles Sweeney, Sep 29, 2006
  10. In article <efio89$c9n$>,
    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    > http://rankmylist.com/tabTest/

    Perhaps some indication of progress while clicking on options would be
    of help. Or a far smaller example group than food. When do you stop or
    win ;-)

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

    Leonard Blaisdell, Sep 30, 2006
  11. Nik Coughlin

    Paul Watt Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    >A work in progress, would like anyone who has a moment to please take a
    >look:
    >
    > Current site is http://rankmylist.com/
    >
    > Next version is http://rankmylist.com/testTabs/
    >
    > The tables for layout will be replaced with CSS in the next iteration.
    >
    > So far tested in IE6/7 and newest versions of Firefox and Opera, seems to
    > work fine.
    >
    > Any comments, critiques, questions or suggestions on the html/css, layout
    > or mechanics of the page very welcome!

    Hi,
    I didnt like the bit telling me what browser I should be using. Surely the
    aim is to display correctly whatever browser is being used?

    --
    Cheers

    Paul
    le singe est dans l'arbre
    http://www.paulwatt.info

    Paul Watt, Sep 30, 2006
  12. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Paul Watt wrote:
    > "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    >> A work in progress, would like anyone who has a moment to please
    >> take a look:
    >>
    >> Current site is http://rankmylist.com/
    >>
    >> Next version is http://rankmylist.com/testTabs/
    >>
    >> The tables for layout will be replaced with CSS in the next
    >> iteration. So far tested in IE6/7 and newest versions of Firefox and
    >> Opera,
    >> seems to work fine.
    >>
    >> Any comments, critiques, questions or suggestions on the html/css,
    >> layout or mechanics of the page very welcome!
    >>

    > Hi,
    > I didnt like the bit telling me what browser I should be using.
    > Surely the aim is to display correctly whatever browser is being used?

    It does display correctly, just not as nicely. IE 6 and under are incapable
    of displaying links with an alpha transparent background without some extra
    work that I'm not willing to undertake. Point taken though.

    Nik Coughlin, Oct 1, 2006
  13. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
    > In article <efio89$c9n$>,
    > "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    >
    >> http://rankmylist.com/tabTest/

    > Perhaps some indication of progress while clicking on options would be
    > of help. Or a far smaller example group than food. When do you stop or
    > win ;-)

    The ranking algorithm is undergoing an upgrade, once it's done I'll add a
    progress indicator (i.e., how close you are to having made a decision for
    each possible combination), thanks!

    Nik Coughlin, Oct 1, 2006
  14. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Charles Sweeney wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote
    >
    >> http://rankmylist.com/tabTest/

    > Visually it's very nice indeed, clean, easy to read, uncluttered.
    >
    > As a concept I think it's bonkers. It's a website that tells you how
    > much you like things? Do you need to be told that? Don't you
    > already know that? Will there be a rush of people visiting to
    > remember what they like most?

    Whenever things ask me what my 10 favorite bands or movies etc. are I have
    trouble making my mind up, the idea was for a tool that could help me get
    over my indecisiveness. Hopefully some other people will find it useful or
    fun for the same reason :)

    Nik Coughlin, Oct 1, 2006
  15. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:
    > Charles Sweeney wrote:
    >
    >> As a concept I think it's bonkers. It's a website that tells you
    >> how much you like things? Do you need to be told that? Don't you
    >> already know that? Will there be a rush of people visiting to
    >> remember what they like most?

    > A very good point.
    >
    > An improvement in usefulness would be a way to save my list as, say,
    > http://rankmylist.com/my_film_list, and save my rankings as
    > http://rankmylist.com/my_film_list/toby. Then I could invite people to
    > visit http://rankmylist.com/my_film_list/ and rank the list too -- and
    > they could save it as http://rankmylist.com/my_film_list/dave or
    > http://rankmylist.com/my_film_list/bob.
    > http://rankmylist.com/my_film_list/ could display an overall set of
    > rankings.

    Hi Toby,

    Once I've implemented the private/public list functionality currently on my
    to do list you'll be able to do just that :) I like the url structure
    you've suggested a lot though.

    Nik Coughlin, Oct 1, 2006
  16. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> http://rankmylist.com/tabTest/

    > Make a list of red, green, yellow, blue and click "apply". The first
    > time it asks, vote for either of the two colours (doesn't matter), now
    > repeatedly click "I can't decide" and look at the rankings. :)

    When I changed the urls from index.php?blah=blah to just ?blah=blah it broke
    that, I've fixed it now though, thanks!

    Nik Coughlin, Oct 1, 2006
  17. In article <efn7su$fod$>,
    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    > The ranking algorithm is undergoing an upgrade, once it's done I'll add a
    > progress indicator (i.e., how close you are to having made a decision for
    > each possible combination), thanks!

    I quit. I had elevens, tens and nines through the first six rankings and
    no clue whether I got a cookie or what for completing the thing. Isn't
    that some factorial deal for all possible combinations that might take
    me the rest of my life? 30x29x28...

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

    Leonard Blaisdell, Oct 1, 2006
  18. Nik Coughlin

    David Segall Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    >A work in progress, would like anyone who has a moment to please take a
    >look:
    >
    >Current site is http://rankmylist.com/
    >
    >Next version is http://rankmylist.com/testTabs/
    >
    >The tables for layout will be replaced with CSS in the next iteration.
    >
    >So far tested in IE6/7 and newest versions of Firefox and Opera, seems to
    >work fine.
    >
    >Any comments, critiques, questions or suggestions on the html/css, layout or
    >mechanics of the page very welcome!

    The sort algorithm does not seem to terminate! If I enter 1,2 it just
    keeps asking me to compare them. You need an algorithm that uses the
    minimum number of comparisons and maintains the original order for
    equal values - the "I don't know" case. You also need an algorithm
    that never gives the user a chance to contradict himself. That is, if
    he prefers 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 then he must not be asked to compare 1
    and 3 in case he decides on 3. I'd like to give you a suitable
    algorithm but I don't know one.

    David Segall, Oct 2, 2006
  19. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    David Segall wrote:
    > "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    >
    >> A work in progress, would like anyone who has a moment to please
    >> take a look:
    >>
    >> Current site is http://rankmylist.com/
    >>
    >> Next version is http://rankmylist.com/testTabs/
    >>
    >> The tables for layout will be replaced with CSS in the next
    >> iteration.
    >>
    >> So far tested in IE6/7 and newest versions of Firefox and Opera,
    >> seems to work fine.
    >>
    >> Any comments, critiques, questions or suggestions on the html/css,
    >> layout or mechanics of the page very welcome!

    > The sort algorithm does not seem to terminate! If I enter 1,2 it just
    > keeps asking me to compare them. You need an algorithm that uses the
    > minimum number of comparisons and maintains the original order for
    > equal values - the "I don't know" case. You also need an algorithm
    > that never gives the user a chance to contradict himself. That is, if
    > he prefers 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 then he must not be asked to compare 1
    > and 3 in case he decides on 3. I'd like to give you a suitable
    > algorithm but I don't know one.

    In the next iteration it will only ask you to compare each possible pair
    once, in a random order, I was just too lazy to do this initially which is
    why it is always random. However, the user *will* be able to contradict
    themselves. It seems to work better if they can, believe it or not!

    Thanks for taking the time to play with it.

    Nik Coughlin, Oct 2, 2006
  20. Nik Coughlin

    David Segall Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    >David Segall wrote:
    >> "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> A work in progress, would like anyone who has a moment to please
    >>> take a look:
    >>>
    >>> Current site is http://rankmylist.com/
    >>>
    >>> Next version is http://rankmylist.com/testTabs/
    >>>
    >>> The tables for layout will be replaced with CSS in the next
    >>> iteration.
    >>>
    >>> So far tested in IE6/7 and newest versions of Firefox and Opera,
    >>> seems to work fine.
    >>>
    >>> Any comments, critiques, questions or suggestions on the html/css,
    >>> layout or mechanics of the page very welcome!

    >> The sort algorithm does not seem to terminate! If I enter 1,2 it just
    >> keeps asking me to compare them. You need an algorithm that uses the
    >> minimum number of comparisons and maintains the original order for
    >> equal values - the "I don't know" case. You also need an algorithm
    >> that never gives the user a chance to contradict himself. That is, if
    >> he prefers 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 then he must not be asked to compare 1
    >> and 3 in case he decides on 3. I'd like to give you a suitable
    >> algorithm but I don't know one.

    >In the next iteration it will only ask you to compare each possible pair
    >once, in a random order

    I doubt if any visitor will have the patience to do this. According to
    my rather rusty maths you will be asking them to do (n*(n-1))/2
    comparisons when, in the easiest case, they only needed to do n-1. For
    a list of five items that's ten instead of four which is tolerable.
    However, most people could order five items without the aid of your
    program. For your food list it's 4,465 instead of 94.
    >, I was just too lazy to do this initially which is
    >why it is always random. However, the user *will* be able to contradict
    >themselves. It seems to work better if they can, believe it or not!

    I'm sure it does given your definition of better. My definition of
    better was minimising the amount of effort for your user.

    I should add that I think your project is a good idea and my comments
    are only intended to optimise it for my use :)

    David Segall, Oct 2, 2006