    But none of these sites explain how this is done.

    Anyone have a proper site that gives a more complete example of how to
    completely implement a checkbox?
    richard, Sep 5, 2013

  2. richard <> writes:

    > It's been a long long time since I did anything with checkboxes.
    > So I tried searching on the subject and what did I find?
    > The same damn thing on a few dozen websites.
    > They all show how the code is to be to have a checkbox.
    > Not a damn one of them say how to work with that code.
    > Ok. So you have the checkbox and all the needed information.
    > Now what?

    The user submits the form, usually by clicking a "submit" button. What
    happens after this depends on the "action" and "method" attributes in
    of the form in question.

    > Somewhere, somehow, some action is required to pass the value contained in
    > the checkbox to something else.
    > But none of these sites explain how this is done.

    It's hard to say much more because it depends on what technology is used
    to process the form.

    > Anyone have a proper site that gives a more complete example of how to
    > completely implement a checkbox?

    If, say, you plan on using a PHP-processed page to handle the form, you
    can get good advice in a PHP group, or by searching specifically for
    information and PHP and checkbox handling.

    --
    Ben.
    Ben Bacarisse, Sep 5, 2013

  3. richard

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Ben Bacarisse <> wrote:

    > richard <> writes:
    >
    > > It's been a long long time since I did anything with checkboxes.
    > > So I tried searching on the subject and what did I find?
    > > The same damn thing on a few dozen websites.
    > > They all show how the code is to be to have a checkbox.
    > > Not a damn one of them say how to work with that code.
    > > Ok. So you have the checkbox and all the needed information.
    > > Now what?

    > The user submits the form, usually by clicking a "submit" button. What
    > happens after this depends on the "action" and "method" attributes in
    > of the form in question.

    Or you can process it using javascript if you feel like it:

    <input type="checkbox" onchange="check(this.checked);"> Some text here

    and in your javascript:

    var manual_check;

    function check (checked)
    {
    manual_check = checked==true ? 1 : 0;
    }

    But then none of my forms is ever submitted - the user presses a button,
    I encode a number of the variables (including manual_check from the
    above) into a string and ajax it to the other side.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Sep 5, 2013
  4. On 09/05/2013 02:02 AM, richard wrote:
    > It's been a long long time since I did anything with checkboxes.
    > So I tried searching on the subject and what did I find?
    > The same damn thing on a few dozen websites.
    > They all show how the code is to be to have a checkbox.
    > Not a damn one of them say how to work with that code.
    > Ok. So you have the checkbox and all the needed information.
    > Now what?
    > Somewhere, somehow, some action is required to pass the value contained in
    > the checkbox to something else.
    > But none of these sites explain how this is done.
    >
    > Anyone have a proper site that gives a more complete example of how to
    > completely implement a checkbox?

    I half-heartedly assume that you know how to put a checkbox in an
    HTML page so you will need to post this question in a newsgroup that
    deals with the 'pass the value to something else'. It's the 'working
    with that code in something else' that needs to be defined.

    --
    Norman
    Registered Linux user #461062
    Norman Peelman, Sep 5, 2013
  5. Tim Streater <> writes:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > Ben Bacarisse <> wrote:
    >
    >> richard <> writes:
    >>
    >> > It's been a long long time since I did anything with checkboxes.
    >> > So I tried searching on the subject and what did I find?
    >> > The same damn thing on a few dozen websites.
    >> > They all show how the code is to be to have a checkbox.
    >> > Not a damn one of them say how to work with that code.
    >> > Ok. So you have the checkbox and all the needed information.
    >> > Now what?

    >> The user submits the form, usually by clicking a "submit" button. What
    >> happens after this depends on the "action" and "method" attributes in
    >> of the form in question.

    > Or you can process it using javascript if you feel like it:
    >
    > <input type="checkbox" onchange="check(this.checked);"> Some text here

    Yes, but i doubt that the OP wants to write a web app!

    > and in your javascript:
    >
    > var manual_check;
    >
    > function check (checked)
    > {
    > manual_check = checked==true ? 1 : 0;
    > }
    >

    > But then none of my forms is ever submitted - the user presses a
    > button, I encode a number of the variables (including manual_check
    > from the above) into a string and ajax it to the other side.

    But then you are probably in control of the user environment. If not,
    your forms may well be being submitted (presumably to no effect)!

    --
    Ben.
    Ben Bacarisse, Sep 5, 2013
  6. richard

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Ben Bacarisse <> wrote:

    > Tim Streater <> writes:
    >
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > > Ben Bacarisse <> wrote:

    > >> The user submits the form, usually by clicking a "submit" button. What
    > >> happens after this depends on the "action" and "method" attributes in
    > >> of the form in question.

    > > Or you can process it using javascript if you feel like it:
    > >
    > > <input type="checkbox" onchange="check(this.checked);"> Some text here

    > Yes, but i doubt that the OP wants to write a web app!

    True but then he's not said what he wants to do.

    > > and in your javascript:
    > >
    > > var manual_check;
    > >
    > > function check (checked)
    > > {
    > > manual_check = checked==true ? 1 : 0;
    > > }
    > >

    > > But then none of my forms is ever submitted - the user presses a
    > > button, I encode a number of the variables (including manual_check
    > > from the above) into a string and ajax it to the other side.

    > But then you are probably in control of the user environment. If not,
    > your forms may well be being submitted (presumably to no effect)!

    That happens occasionally, but it's a bug if it does. And it is
    immediately apparent, as there is a reload (I only ever write <form>). I
    seem to recall reading somewhere that I could, in fact, leave out the
    <form></form> altogether.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Sep 5, 2013
  7. On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 02:02:11 -0400, richard wrote:

    > Anyone have a proper site that gives a more complete example of how to
    > completely implement a checkbox?

    Is it beyond your capability, in such situations, to write your own quick
    form with a checkbox which goes to a php script which simply dumps the
    $_POST or $_GET array in a <pre></pre> section.

    The following html in checkbox.htm:

    <head>
    <title>checkboxes</title>
    </head>
    <form method="post" action="checkbox.php">
    Post Checkbox:
    <input type="checkbox" name="post_checkbox">
    <input type="submit" value="Submit Post Checkbox">
    </form>
    <form method="get" action="checkbox.php">
    Get Checkbox:
    <input type="checkbox" name="get_checkbox">
    <input type="submit" value="Submit Get Checkbox">
    </form>

    The following checkbox.php

    <head>
    <title>checkboxes</title>
    </head>
    <pre>
    <?php
    var_dump($_POST);
    print_r($_POST);
    ?>
    </pre>
    <pre>
    <?php
    var_dump($_GET);
    print_r($_GET);
    ?>
    </pre>

    --
    Denis McMahon,
    Denis McMahon, Sep 5, 2013
  8. On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 18:27:00 +0000, Denis McMahon wrote:

    > On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 02:02:11 -0400, richard wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone have a proper site that gives a more complete example of how to
    >> completely implement a checkbox?

    > Is it beyond your capability ......

    On second thoughts, forget I asked that. It was an absolutely stupid
    thing to ask given how widely your lack of capability is recognised.

    --
    Denis McMahon,
    Denis McMahon, Sep 5, 2013
  9. richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <l0b18g$hk7$>,
    Denis McMahon <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 18:27:00 +0000, Denis McMahon wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 02:02:11 -0400, richard wrote:
    > >
    > >> Anyone have a proper site that gives a more complete example of how to
    > >> completely implement a checkbox?

    > > Is it beyond your capability ......

    > On second thoughts, forget I asked that. It was an absolutely stupid
    > thing to ask given how widely your lack of capability is recognised.

    Perhaps you might consider a third thought, that it was completely and
    *unnecessarily* rude.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 6, 2013
  10. richard

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > In article <l0b18g$hk7$>,
    > Denis McMahon <> wrote:

    > > > Is it beyond your capability ......

    > > On second thoughts, forget I asked that. It was an absolutely stupid
    > > thing to ask given how widely your lack of capability is recognised.

    > Perhaps you might consider a third thought, that it was completely and
    > *unnecessarily* rude.

    Well I'm not sure of that. Sometimes its *necessary* to be rude in order
    to get a message through. And Dennis's post wasn't even that rude.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Sep 6, 2013
  11. Tim Streater <> writes:

    > In article <>,
    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <l0b18g$hk7$>,

    >> example of how to

    >> stupid > thing to ask given how widely your lack of capability is
    >> recognised.
    >>
    >> Perhaps you might consider a third thought, that it was completely
    >> and *unnecessarily* rude.

    > Well I'm not sure of that. Sometimes its *necessary* to be rude in
    > order to get a message through. And Dennis's post wasn't even that
    > rude.

    I think you need to re-calibrate your notion of rude. But from a purely
    pragmatic point of view, how has the policy of being rude when necessary
    been working out? Have you managed to get the message through to anyone
    by doing that? As an observer of other people using that policy, it
    does not seem to work very well.

    --
    Ben.
    Ben Bacarisse, Sep 6, 2013
  12. richard

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Tim Streater <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > dorayme <> wrote:

    > > > Perhaps you might consider a third thought, that it was completely and
    > > > *unnecessarily* rude.

    > > Well I'm not sure of that. Sometimes its *necessary* to be rude in order
    > > to get a message through. And Dennis's post wasn't even that rude.

    > OK, for what it's worth, it could have been ruder!

    It could have been considerably ruder. I'd call it a little sharp, but
    no worse than that.

    > But that means
    > little because things can almost always be worse than they are.
    > Really, when has any level of rudeness ever had any *desired* effect
    > on the OP before? Seems sad that you think there is a message that
    > cannot be packaged a little better, the OP was just asking some
    > questions.

    The OP appears to have difficulty even formulating questions. There was
    no indication of what he wanted to do other than "to completely
    implement a checkbox", whatever that may mean.

    I chipped in with some info about doing some processing in the browser,
    and Denis with an example involving form submission. None of this caused
    the OP to amplify his original request in any way at all. Small wonder,
    to my mind, that Denis got fed up. You'll note that the OP has form in
    this regard.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Sep 6, 2013
  13. richard

    Lewis Guest

    In message <6pocxisxvtpk.tielumplkkrj$>
    richard <> wrote:
    > It's been a long long time since I did anything with checkboxes.
    > So I tried searching on the subject and what did I find?
    > The same damn thing on a few dozen websites.
    > They all show how the code is to be to have a checkbox.
    > Not a damn one of them say how to work with that code.
    > Ok. So you have the checkbox and all the needed information.
    > Now what?

    You need a script to accept the submission of the form with the
    checkbox(es). This can either be live on the page, or based on a submit
    button.

    > Somewhere, somehow, some action is required to pass the value contained in
    > the checkbox to something else.

    Yes, and that is outside the scope of HTML. You use HTML to create the
    page, including checkboxes. Something else has to process the input.

    --
    And I was grounded while you filled the skies I was dumbfounded by
    truth; you cut through lies
    Lewis, Sep 8, 2013
  14. richard

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Tim Streater <> wrote:

    >> In article <>,
    >> dorayme <> wrote:

    >> > Perhaps you might consider a third thought, that it was completely and
    >> > *unnecessarily* rude.

    >> Well I'm not sure of that. Sometimes its *necessary* to be rude in order
    >> to get a message through. And Dennis's post wasn't even that rude.

    > OK, for what it's worth, it could have been ruder! But that means
    > little because things can almost always be worse than they are.
    > Really, when has any level of rudeness ever had any *desired* effect
    > on the OP before? Seems sad that you think there is a message that
    > cannot be packaged a little better, the OP was just asking some
    > questions.

    First: Nothing anyone has ever said in this group seems to have had the
    slightest effect on richard.

    Second: this is classic richard, ask a question that shows a (remarkable)
    lack of knowledge from someone who's supposedly been doing this
    for years. Next up, he'll start arguing about the answers.

    Third: Have you *met* richard.

    --
    perfectly ordinary books, printed on commonplace paper in mundane ink.
    It would be a mistake to think that they weren't also dangerous, just
    Lewis, Sep 8, 2013
  15. richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Lewis <> wrote:

    > First: Nothing anyone has ever said in this group seems to have had the
    > slightest effect on richard.

    This is not quite true, but lets not worry about it. Why bother to
    even reply to OP, much less be rude to him if this is such a well
    known fact? Rudeness has an honourable place in life, literature and
    art generally, just it seems that this card was played inappropriately
    early in the thread, there needs to be a better excuse. A little more
    connoisseurship in this matter is needed. <g>

    > Second: this is classic richard, ask a question that shows a (remarkable)
    > lack of knowledge from someone who's supposedly been doing this
    > for years. Next up, he'll start arguing about the answers.

    So, you are saying what? That it is understandable that someone should
    offer some helpful information with one hand while delivering a
    precautionary, anticipatory slap with the other? <g>

    > Third: Have you *met* richard.

    Yes.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 8, 2013
  16. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 8 Sep 2013 06:24:04 +0000 (UTC), Lewis wrote:

    > In message <6pocxisxvtpk.tielumplkkrj$>
    > richard <> wrote:
    >> It's been a long long time since I did anything with checkboxes.
    >> So I tried searching on the subject and what did I find?
    >> The same damn thing on a few dozen websites.
    >> They all show how the code is to be to have a checkbox.
    >> Not a damn one of them say how to work with that code.
    >> Ok. So you have the checkbox and all the needed information.
    >> Now what?

    > You need a script to accept the submission of the form with the
    > checkbox(es). This can either be live on the page, or based on a submit
    > button.
    >
    >> Somewhere, somehow, some action is required to pass the value contained in
    >> the checkbox to something else.

    > Yes, and that is outside the scope of HTML. You use HTML to create the
    > page, including checkboxes. Something else has to process the input.

    So what is the point of discussing how to code the stuff without showing
    how to use it in real life?
    You put a hundred checkboxes on a page. Somebody checks them all and
    nothing happens. So what's the point of having the?
    richard, Sep 8, 2013
  17. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 21:36:21 +1000, dorayme wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Lewis <> wrote:
    >
    >> First: Nothing anyone has ever said in this group seems to have had the
    >> slightest effect on richard.
    >>

    > This is not quite true, but lets not worry about it. Why bother to
    > even reply to OP, much less be rude to him if this is such a well
    > known fact? Rudeness has an honourable place in life, literature and
    > art generally, just it seems that this card was played inappropriately
    > early in the thread, there needs to be a better excuse. A little more
    > connoisseurship in this matter is needed. <g>
    >
    >> Second: this is classic richard, ask a question that shows a (remarkable)
    >> lack of knowledge from someone who's supposedly been doing this
    >> for years. Next up, he'll start arguing about the answers.
    >>

    > So, you are saying what? That it is understandable that someone should
    > offer some helpful information with one hand while delivering a
    > precautionary, anticipatory slap with the other? <g>
    >
    >> Third: Have you *met* richard.

    > Yes.

    Interesting comments.
    In this issue, which I did mark as a rant, I was looking at why people go
    to all the trouble about writing a lesson on how to do somethijng, then not
    follow up with at least an example.

    As you have been around a long time, you know that when I repost a question
    about something, do I not generally say something like I need a refersher?

    Just curious.
    #3 answer says we have met. Physically? When and where?
    There is only one person in my entire life that I have known personally
    from your neck of the woods and she lives in new zealand.
    richard, Sep 8, 2013
  18. richard

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <1w5wjyzktj9fw.10t87l6cbje76$>,
    richard <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 8 Sep 2013 06:24:04 +0000 (UTC), Lewis wrote:
    >
    > > In message <6pocxisxvtpk.tielumplkkrj$>
    > > richard <> wrote:
    > >> It's been a long long time since I did anything with checkboxes.
    > >> So I tried searching on the subject and what did I find?
    > >> The same damn thing on a few dozen websites.
    > >> They all show how the code is to be to have a checkbox.
    > >> Not a damn one of them say how to work with that code.
    > >> Ok. So you have the checkbox and all the needed information.
    > >> Now what?

    > > You need a script to accept the submission of the form with the
    > > checkbox(es). This can either be live on the page, or based on a submit
    > > button.
    > >
    > >> Somewhere, somehow, some action is required to pass the value contained in
    > >> the checkbox to something else.

    > > Yes, and that is outside the scope of HTML. You use HTML to create the
    > > page, including checkboxes. Something else has to process the input.

    > So what is the point of discussing how to code the stuff without showing
    > how to use it in real life?
    > You put a hundred checkboxes on a page. Somebody checks them all and
    > nothing happens. So what's the point of having the?

    You haven't said what it is you want to do. I posted something and so
    did, IIRC, Denis. You've not commented on either offering.

    You remind me of a bloke who used some of our group's stuff when I was
    working at CERN. He'd come into our office from time to time and say "It
    doesn't work". My response was to look concerned and say "Have you been
    to the Doctor about it?" He soon learnt that issues get resolved a lot
    quicker when he gave rather more information about what "didn't work". I
    suggest you do the same.

    F'rinstance, you say above "Somebody checks them all and nothing
    happens". Well, what were you expecting to happen? Your screen to go
    blank? Some part of the web page to change? The power to go off two
    blocks down the road? The ICBM in the silo across the street to launch
    and take out Las Vegas?

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Sep 8, 2013
  19. Tim Streater wrote:
    > In article <1w5wjyzktj9fw.10t87l6cbje76$>,
    > richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 8 Sep 2013 06:24:04 +0000 (UTC), Lewis wrote:

    >> > checkbox(es). This can either be live on the page, or based on a submit
    >> > button.

    >> contained in

    >> the
    >> > page, including checkboxes. Something else has to process the input.

    >> So what is the point of discussing how to code the stuff without showing
    >> how to use it in real life?
    >> You put a hundred checkboxes on a page. Somebody checks them all and
    >> nothing happens. So what's the point of having the?

    > You haven't said what it is you want to do. I posted something and so
    > did, IIRC, Denis. You've not commented on either offering.
    >
    > You remind me of a bloke who used some of our group's stuff when I was
    > working at CERN. He'd come into our office from time to time and say "It
    > doesn't work". My response was to look concerned and say "Have you been
    > to the Doctor about it?" He soon learnt that issues get resolved a lot
    > quicker when he gave rather more information about what "didn't work". I
    > suggest you do the same.
    >
    > F'rinstance, you say above "Somebody checks them all and nothing
    > happens". Well, what were you expecting to happen? Your screen to go
    > blank? Some part of the web page to change? The power to go off two
    > blocks down the road? The ICBM in the silo across the street to launch
    > and take out Las Vegas?

    If it is something other than all the checkbox controls have a tick mark
    indicator then he does not understand the purpose of the control, i.e.,
    a checkbox should not submit a form...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 8, 2013
  20. richard wrote:

    > So what is the point of discussing how to code the stuff without showing
    > how to use it in real life?

    As others have already pointed out in this thread, there are many ways
    to "use" checkboxes (i.e. processing them). They can be processed by
    browser side scripting, or, after submitting a form, by a server side
    script. If you're looking for the latter, you may consider to ask in a
    newsgroup which deals with the respective programming language (e.g.
    comp.lang.php for PHP). An alternative is to search the web, e.g. for
    "php processing checkboxes".

    --
    Christoph M. Becker
    Christoph Michael Becker, Sep 8, 2013