going deeply into the form element and its various children - mind
you, not until after the eighth round.
Just curious.
#3 answer says we have met.

Not quite. It asked if we had "met". And we have. It was a "dark and
stormy night... "
There is only one person in my entire life that I have known personally
from your neck of the woods and she lives in new zealand.

Luigi also knew a woman from New Zealand... or, come to think about
it, was it Tasmania?

Tim Streater

If it is something other than all the checkbox controls have a tick mark
indicator then he does not understand the purpose of the control, i.e.,
a checkbox should not submit a form...

Agreed, but in practice, you might want that ticking one box enables
other controls on the form, and conversely unticking it disables those
controls. Or, if you have a set of radio buttons, selecting a particular
one might enable an associated text input, etc. Does he need to do stuff
like that in his case? I guess we'll never know.

Tim Streater

dorayme said:
Yes, you do. You are very good that way. Tim Streater will come to
recognise your goodness and warm to you one day, as will Lewis and
Dennis. They will take you for beers and you will all get on fine,
going deeply into the form element and its various children - mind
you, not until after the eighth round.

Unlikely since I don't do rounds.

Denis McMahon

Unlikely since I don't do rounds.

I want to know who this Dennis person is? After all, I'm sure that whilst
lecturing me on etiquette and courtesy, no-one would be so disrespectful
as to repeatedly misspell my name, would they?

Lewis

So what is the point of discussing how to code the stuff without showing
how to use it in real life?

Right on schedule, richard in all his glorious richardness.

dorayme

Denis McMahon said:
I want to know who this Dennis person is?
lecturing me on etiquette and courtesy, no-one would be so disrespectful
as to repeatedly misspell my name, would they?

Repeatedly? Sure about that? In this thread? Anyway, on the one case I
recall, it was unintentional. As it happens, at that stage I did think
it was with just one n, so I (not very thoroughly it turns out)
checked to see it mentioned - by Tim - and spelt it the same way as he
did in the post I looked at.

Btw, a Premier of Victoria (a first minister of a state government of
Australia) spells his first name with one n. There is a Christian
saint whose name is sometimes so spelt.

dorayme

Ed Mullen said:
Ahhh! Luigi! Whatever happened to him? He was really ... umm ... uh
... "interesting." :)

I fear he might be running his one-man business upstairs.

Tim Streater

Denis McMahon said:
I want to know who this Dennis person is? After all, I'm sure that whilst
lecturing me on etiquette and courtesy, no-one would be so disrespectful
as to repeatedly misspell my name, would they?

Well I did the first time and then, realising I had, spelt it correctly
after that.

Jonathan N. Little

Tim said:
Agreed, but in practice, you might want that ticking one box enables
other controls on the form, and conversely unticking it disables those
controls. Or, if you have a set of radio buttons, selecting a particular
one might enable an associated text input, etc. Does he need to do stuff
like that in his case? I guess we'll never know.

That may be so, however that is not the "function" of the HTML checkbox
control and that would require JavaScript to add that behavior. Without
a concrete example or a more precise description of what the OP wishes
the control to do, well as you say "I guess we'll never know".

Jonathan N. Little

richard said:
On Mon, 9 Sep 2013 05:39:40 -0600, Hot-Text wrote:

Thank you.
This is precisely what I have been griping about.
All the other sites I visited, only presented how to code the checkboxes,
then did nothing about how to properly use them.

What? That is *not* the "proper" use of a checkbox control. A checkbox
control is used to select an option within a form and *not* as an
validation indicator. For that application you could use JavaScript to
append/change some element preceding or following the checkbox in order
to give the "thumbs up" signal. That example breaks convention like
having a doorknob on a door that does not turn to open the door, but
rather you push to turn on the house lights! It is just plain wrong and
would confuse the user...

richard

What? That is *not* the "proper" use of a checkbox control. A checkbox
control is used to select an option within a form and *not* as an
validation indicator. For that application you could use JavaScript to
append/change some element preceding or following the checkbox in order
to give the "thumbs up" signal. That example breaks convention like
having a doorknob on a door that does not turn to open the door, but
rather you push to turn on the house lights! It is just plain wrong and
would confuse the user...

That may very well be.
But the thing is, at least the author is showing that SOME type of script
is to be used along with the checkboxes to make them properly function.
None of the other sites I saw pointed this out.

Tim Streater

richard said:
That may very well be.
But the thing is, at least the author is showing that SOME type of script
is to be used along with the checkboxes to make them properly function.
None of the other sites I saw pointed this out.

No script is *required* on the user-side to make them work properly.
Using javascript on the user-side is *additional* if you want to do
extra things as I described.

However, server-side you'll need some code to look at the state of a
particular box and do this or that depending.