Rapid desktop application development

Stephen Eilert

Hi all,

There has been much hype lately about web "megaframeworks", like
TurboGears, Django and Rails(Ruby side). Those are all fantastic
frameworks, nicely integrated so that the user can focus on solving his
problem, instead of doing all the scaffolding and framework integration
by hand.

Now, I am not a fan of web applications so I'm creating a few GUI
applications using Python. Thanks to wxPython, those are all
native-looking, with powerful components. This is quite nice. Now, I
want to use some OR-Mapper, so I chose SQLObjects. This is nice too. I
do have to write controllers, model, and all the glue code between the
frameworks by hand.

However, I don't have to do that with a framework such as TurboGears,
for web applications. Everything is neatly integrated so that I just
have to "fill in the blanks". It would be the same application, except
that the presentation is GUI-based, instead of Web-based. MVC
architecture too and so on.

Are there any frameworks like those, for GUI applications? It would be
interesting to abstract away that repetitive work.

Thanks,

Stephen

Ravi Teja

Stephen said:
[...]