Rapid desktop application development

Discussion in 'Python' started by Stephen Eilert, Oct 19, 2006.

  1. Hi all,

    There has been much hype lately about web "megaframeworks", like
    TurboGears, Django and Rails(Ruby side). Those are all fantastic
    frameworks, nicely integrated so that the user can focus on solving his
    problem, instead of doing all the scaffolding and framework integration
    by hand.

    Now, I am not a fan of web applications so I'm creating a few GUI
    applications using Python. Thanks to wxPython, those are all
    native-looking, with powerful components. This is quite nice. Now, I
    want to use some OR-Mapper, so I chose SQLObjects. This is nice too. I
    do have to write controllers, model, and all the glue code between the
    frameworks by hand.

    However, I don't have to do that with a framework such as TurboGears,
    for web applications. Everything is neatly integrated so that I just
    have to "fill in the blanks". It would be the same application, except
    that the presentation is GUI-based, instead of Web-based. MVC
    architecture too and so on.

    Are there any frameworks like those, for GUI applications? It would be
    interesting to abstract away that repetitive work.

    Thanks,

    Stephen
    Stephen Eilert, Oct 19, 2006

  2. Stephen Eilert

    Ravi Teja Guest

    Stephen Eilert wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > There has been much hype lately about web "megaframeworks", like
    > TurboGears, Django and Rails(Ruby side). Those are all fantastic
    > frameworks, nicely integrated so that the user can focus on solving his
    > problem, instead of doing all the scaffolding and framework integration
    > by hand.
    >
    > Now, I am not a fan of web applications so I'm creating a few GUI
    > applications using Python. Thanks to wxPython, those are all
    > native-looking, with powerful components. This is quite nice. Now, I
    > want to use some OR-Mapper, so I chose SQLObjects. This is nice too. I
    > do have to write controllers, model, and all the glue code between the
    > frameworks by hand.
    >
    > However, I don't have to do that with a framework such as TurboGears,
    > for web applications. Everything is neatly integrated so that I just
    > have to "fill in the blanks". It would be the same application, except
    > that the presentation is GUI-based, instead of Web-based. MVC
    > architecture too and so on.
    >
    > Are there any frameworks like those, for GUI applications? It would be
    > interesting to abstract away that repetitive work.

    Dabo
    http://dabodev.com/

    TraitsUI
    http://code.enthought.com/traits/