Rapid development of desktop-like web applications

Discussion in 'Java' started by carmelo, Sep 13, 2010.

  1. carmelo

    carmelo Guest

    Hello everybody,

    I'm looking for a visual RAD IDE that would allow me the rapid
    development of desktop-like web applications. It should assist me on
    data binding too. If you know Visual Basic, it should be similar to
    it.

    The web application requirements are:
    - CRUD functionality for record management in relational databases
    - displaying data in tabular form, master/details form
    - generate reports
    - generate graphs

    I've got no restrictions on languages, the goal is to find tools that
    make development the fastest possible.

    Would you have any advice?

    Thank you very much in advance!

    carmelo, Sep 13, 2010

  2. carmelo

    carmelo Guest

    Sure, but it depends on development tools and libraries too...

    What do you suggest?

    carmelo, Sep 13, 2010

  3. carmelo

    Lew Guest

    carmelo wrote:
    > I'm looking for a visual RAD IDE that would allow me the rapid
    > development of desktop-like web applications. It should assist me on
    > data binding too. If you know Visual Basic, it should be similar to
    > it.
    >
    > The web application requirements are:
    > - CRUD functionality for record management in relational databases
    > - displaying data in tabular form, master/details form
    > - generate reports
    > - generate graphs
    >
    > I've got no restrictions on languages, the goal is to find tools that
    > make development the fastest possible.

    Since you posted to a Java newsgroup I'll speak only of Java.

    > Would you have any advice?

    Any of the standard Java IDEs, namely NetBeans, Eclipse and JDeveloper
    just to name three of the free ones, have power at least equivalent to
    Visual Basic within the Java world, albeit they aren't the same as it
    or each other.

    Speed of development is leveraged more by frameworks than by tools.
    You speak of web applications with database connectivity, quite the
    standard pattern, for which there are dozens of productivity-enhancing
    frameworks. For the visual interface Java Server Faces (JSF) with
    Facelets is a big boon. Database connectivity gets power from the
    Java Persistence API (JPA), embodied by Hibernate, EclipseLink and
    OpenJPA. XML processing is easy with the Java API for XML Binding
    (JAXB).

    Personally I avoid Spring and RichFaces. So far. Every project on
    which I've worked that uses Spring is XML hell, and Spring
    practitioners seem pathologically averse to type safety. Just
    freaking code your widget, OK? Dependency Injection is no more a
    universal cure than penicillin injection. The condition has to call
    for it. Even when it does, uses I've seen of Spring are more like
    trepanning than inoculation.

    Part of the problem with Java is that there are so many frameworks, so
    many of which are well engineered and robust, perhaps even useful.
    For web applications I routinely use:

    Apache log4j
    Tomcat 6.x for the application server
    MyFaces or Mojarra for JSF, version 1.2 or 2.x
    Tomahawk JSF library
    Facelets
    JAXB (comes with Java now)
    Apache Commons libraries for things like file uploads and codecs
    EclipseLink or other JPA framework (annotations rock!)
    PostgreSQL or Derby (a.k.a. "Java DB") RDBMS

    JUnit 4.x for unit tests
    Ant for builds

    Make sure your Java version is at least 6u21.

    Always build your deployments from the command line, e.g., using
    Ant.

    Always use source control - CVS, Subversion (SVN) or git - even if
    you're the only developer. Always.

    Do not include IDE artifacts (e.g., ".settings/" or "project/"
    subdirectory, ".project" or custom "build.xml" file) in the trunk of
    the source-control project. I keep these meta-files in a branch
    specific to each development environment, and the real files in the
    trunk (e.g., the real "build.xml" used from the command-line Ant
    invocation).

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Sep 13, 2010
  4. carmelo

    carmelo Guest

    Thank you for your answers Lew.

    > Since you posted to a Java newsgroup I'll speak only of Java.

    I've got no restriction on languages, IDEs or platforms. Therefore
    please lets talk about it without restrictions

    > Any of the standard Java IDEs, namely NetBeans, Eclipse and JDeveloper
    > just to name three of the free ones, have power at least equivalent to
    > Visual Basic within the Java world, albeit they aren't the same as it
    > or each other.

    Talking about Visual Basic (and other IDEs like it as Delphi and C+
    +Builder) I'm talking about an IDE with which is possible:
    - Visual GUI design
    - Event-driven programming
    - Data binding support between GUI components and data

    I was able to develop in this way using Netbeans for Swing desktop
    applications, but not for web applications...

    Have you got any advice?

    carmelo, Sep 14, 2010
  5. carmelo

    carmelo Guest

    Patricia, I'd prefer to develop it in Java, however it's not strictly
    necessary...

    I'm asking on comp.programming too :)

    carmelo, Sep 14, 2010