rapid development web interface to a database

Discussion in 'Java' started by carloschoenberg@yahoo.com, May 9, 2004.

  1. Guest

    I am looking for the easiest web interface to a database. By easiest,
    I mean most rapid development. Because the requirements are so simple
    and standard, I'm hoping that something can take care of the grunt
    work. Easy maintenance, possibly by non-programmers (or at least
    "junior" programmers) would also be nice.

    I'm open to Perl, PHP, Java in that order (best solution wins, equal
    solutions go with the preferred language). I'm also open to anything
    that doesn't require code to be written to get the job done, as long
    as there's some way to extend it if I get stuck.

    The design is simple and is an age-old story:
    I have a database with about 15 tables. 5 contain data with the same
    primary key, 2 have their own primary key but still a 1-to-1 mapping
    to the "main" primary key, and 8 are master lists that the other
    tables reference (site id, customer id, that sort of thing). I need
    the following screens:
    simple search based on a couple fields
    search results simple display, showing a reasonable set of fields
    search results advanced display, showing large or configurable set of
    fields
    simple display, showing most commonly desired fields
    advanced display, showing all data
    add new record simple, requesting most commonly entered fields
    add new record advanced, allowing all fields to be manipulated
    edit existing record simple
    edit existing record advanced
    editing for each of the 'master' tables

    All edit/add screens need pulldowns for master lists allowing one to
    be selected, search screens need pulldowns allowing multiple to be
    selected. The user should not be burdened by the underlying layout of
    thed tabase.

    I want something to do most of the grunt work of:
    all the CGI stuff, of course
    authentication and maintaining the session
    building the forms. ugly is ok as long as it's usable. optional
    templating would be nice.
    working with the database

    After everything is done modifying the interface to accomidate a new
    table or new column in an existing table should be trivial.

    I appreciate any advice about the most efficient way to develop such
    systems.
    , May 9, 2004

  2. Eljon Greene Guest

    One of the most popular in the open source community for MySQL databases is
    PHPMyAdmin (http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/).

    Eljon Greene
    formGenie - E-Documents Simplified
    E-mail:
    Website: www.form-genie.com

    Eljon Greene, May 9, 2004

  3. Sudsy Guest

    wrote:
    > I am looking for the easiest web interface to a database. By easiest,
    > I mean most rapid development. Because the requirements are so simple
    > and standard, I'm hoping that something can take care of the grunt
    > work. Easy maintenance, possibly by non-programmers (or at least
    > "junior" programmers) would also be nice.

    You could always use the JSTL SQL package. I wouldn't, but then I'm
    probably paranoid about what junior programmers could do with SQL
    queries/updates... >:)
    Sudsy, May 10, 2004
  4. wrote:

    > I am looking for the easiest web interface to a database. By easiest,
    > I mean most rapid development. Because the requirements are so simple
    > and standard, I'm hoping that something can take care of the grunt
    > work. Easy maintenance, possibly by non-programmers (or at least
    > "junior" programmers) would also be nice.
    >
    > I'm open to Perl, PHP, Java in that order (best solution wins, equal
    > solutions go with the preferred language). I'm also open to anything
    > that doesn't require code to be written to get the job done, as long
    > as there's some way to extend it if I get stuck.
    >
    > The design is simple and is an age-old story:
    > I have a database with about 15 tables. 5 contain data with the same
    > primary key, 2 have their own primary key but still a 1-to-1 mapping
    > to the "main" primary key, and 8 are master lists that the other
    > tables reference (site id, customer id, that sort of thing). I need
    > the following screens:
    > simple search based on a couple fields
    > search results simple display, showing a reasonable set of fields
    > search results advanced display, showing large or configurable set of
    > fields
    > simple display, showing most commonly desired fields
    > advanced display, showing all data
    > add new record simple, requesting most commonly entered fields
    > add new record advanced, allowing all fields to be manipulated
    > edit existing record simple
    > edit existing record advanced
    > editing for each of the 'master' tables

    Oracle have tools to do all that but it costs a fortune.

    gtoomey
    Gregory Toomey, May 10, 2004
  5. Joe Smith Guest

    wrote:

    > I am looking for the easiest web interface to a database. By easiest,
    > I mean most rapid development. Because the requirements are so simple
    > and standard, I'm hoping that something can take care of the grunt
    > work. Easy maintenance, possibly by non-programmers (or at least
    > "junior" programmers) would also be nice.

    Sounds like a job for the SiteWand building blocks that Instantis uses.
    http://www.instantis.com/technology/technology_home.html

    They have 30-day free evaluation accounts.
    -Joe
    Joe Smith, May 10, 2004
  6. Tony Marston Guest

    Take a look at http://www.tonymarston.net/php-mysql/sample-application.html
    for rapid application development for the web using PHP.

    --
    Tony Marston
    http://www.tonymarston.net

    Tony Marston, May 10, 2004
  7. David Segall Guest

    Gregory Toomey <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am looking for the easiest web interface to a database. By easiest,
    >> I mean most rapid development. Because the requirements are so simple
    >> and standard, I'm hoping that something can take care of the grunt
    >> work. Easy maintenance, possibly by non-programmers (or at least
    >> "junior" programmers) would also be nice.
    >>
    >> I'm open to Perl, PHP, Java in that order (best solution wins, equal
    >> solutions go with the preferred language). I'm also open to anything
    >> that doesn't require code to be written to get the job done, as long
    >> as there's some way to extend it if I get stuck.
    >>
    >> The design is simple and is an age-old story:
    >> I have a database with about 15 tables. 5 contain data with the same
    >> primary key, 2 have their own primary key but still a 1-to-1 mapping
    >> to the "main" primary key, and 8 are master lists that the other
    >> tables reference (site id, customer id, that sort of thing). I need
    >> the following screens:
    >> simple search based on a couple fields
    >> search results simple display, showing a reasonable set of fields
    >> search results advanced display, showing large or configurable set of
    >> fields
    >> simple display, showing most commonly desired fields
    >> advanced display, showing all data
    >> add new record simple, requesting most commonly entered fields
    >> add new record advanced, allowing all fields to be manipulated
    >> edit existing record simple
    >> edit existing record advanced
    >> editing for each of the 'master' tables

    >Oracle have tools to do all that but it costs a fortune.

    JDeveloper costs $1000.00 which is substantially less than similar
    tools from IBM or Borland. You can use it with any database that has a
    JDBC interface so you do not need to buy an Oracle database.
    Furthermore, their trial version is not time limited so, if you are a
    cash-strapped, independent developer you can postpone paying for it
    until your first application is deployed.

    David Segall, May 10, 2004