rbconfig (LoadError)

chris

I am trying to install ruby on ubuntu Edgy, but this is the error that
I am getting. I should mention that when I first tried to install
ruby I got an error after running "ruby setup.rb" (yip it did work at
one point). After getting that error a post, related to my issue,
mentioned to delete the ruby files in /usr/lib/ruby...which I so
dumassly (add that word to the dictionary) did. I have reinstalled
ruby, but there seems to be some ripple effect like issues.

Thanks for any help

Here is the error

Brian Candler

I am trying to install ruby on ubuntu Edgy, but this is the error that
I am getting. ...
chris@chris-laptop:~/Desktop/rubygems-0.9.2/rubygems-0.9.0$ sudo ruby
setup.rb
setup.rb:52:in `require': no such file to load -- rbconfig (LoadError)
from setup.rb:52

I don't think you're trying to install Ruby - I think you're trying to
install rubygems.

Assuming you installed ruby as the ubuntu package, then the bit you're
missing can be installed using

apt-get install ruby1.8-dev

B.

chris

I don't think you're trying to install Ruby - I think you're trying to
install rubygems.

Assuming you installed ruby as the ubuntu package, then the bit you're
missing can be installed using

apt-get install ruby1.8-dev

B.

Ooops my mistake, it is rubygems that I am installing, but I have
previoulsy re-installed ruby as you mentioned and I am still getting
the same error.

chris

Ooops my mistake, it is rubygems that I am installing, but I have
previoulsy re-installed ruby as you mentioned and I am still getting
the same error.

Where is the rbconfig file supposed to be?

Brian Candler

Ooops my mistake, it is rubygems that I am installing, but I have
previoulsy re-installed ruby as you mentioned and I am still getting
the same error.

Yes, but make sure you have "ruby1.8-dev" (note the -dev) and "libruby1.8"
installed.

On my system:

$ dpkg-query -S /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux/rbconfig.rb
libruby1.8: /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux/rbconfig.rb

You probably also want packages "ruby1.8-examples", "irb1.8", "rdoc1.8" and
"ri1.8"

Brian.

chris

Yes, but make sure you have "ruby1.8-dev" (note the -dev) and "libruby1.8"
installed.

On my system:

$ dpkg-query -S /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux/rbconfig.rb
libruby1.8: /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux/rbconfig.rb

You probably also want packages "ruby1.8-examples", "irb1.8", "rdoc1.8" and
"ri1.8"

Brian.

It is the dev files that I have. For some reason in the i486 dir the
rbconfig.rb file is not there. I do also have all the other libraries
that you mentioned.

chris

Yes, but make sure you have "ruby1.8-dev" (note the -dev) and "libruby1.8"
installed.

On my system:

$ dpkg-query -S /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux/rbconfig.rb
libruby1.8: /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux/rbconfig.rb

You probably also want packages "ruby1.8-examples", "irb1.8", "rdoc1.8" and
"ri1.8"

Brian.

This is what is on my system at the moment.
----------
chris@chris-laptop:/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux$ ls
config.h dl.h intern.h node.h ruby.h st.h
defines.h dln.h missing.h regex.h rubyio.h util.h
dlconfig.h env.h mysql.so re.h rubysig.h version.h
chris@chris-laptop:/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux$ dpkg-query -S /usr/
lib/ruby/i486-linux/rbconfig.rb
dpkg: /usr/lib/ruby/i486-linux/rbconfig.rb not found.

Thanks for the help.

Brian Candler

This is what is on my system at the moment.
----------
chris@chris-laptop:/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux$ ls
config.h dl.h intern.h node.h ruby.h st.h
defines.h dln.h missing.h regex.h rubyio.h util.h
dlconfig.h env.h mysql.so re.h rubysig.h version.h
chris@chris-laptop:/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux$ dpkg-query -S /usr/
lib/ruby/i486-linux/rbconfig.rb
dpkg: /usr/lib/ruby/i486-linux/rbconfig.rb not found.

Do you have "libruby1.8" installed?

If dpkg thinks you have, then try uninstalling and reinstalling it.

B.

chris

Do you have "libruby1.8" installed?

If dpkg thinks you have, then try uninstalling and reinstalling it.

B.

Yip that was the problem, it thought it was installed, but some files
were missing. All is good now. Thanks for all your help