    ruby 1.67, 1.81, 1.82 cygwin & mswin32

    --
    My email, see: http://cafriedrich.netfirms.com/email.gif

    Axel Friedrich, Jun 20, 2004

  2. Axel Friedrich

    daz Guest

    Re: Problems with German Umlauts (Umlaute)

    Axel Friedrich wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > when saving a file "myfile.rb" with RDE to disk, opening and saving
    > it with another editor (NoteTab) and then opening it again with RDE,
    > german umlauts (umlaute) are distroyed (there are funny characters).
    > Any idea what could help?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Axel
    >
    > RDE 0.9.9.1
    > Windows 98SE
    > ruby 1.67, 1.81, 1.82 cygwin & mswin32

    I can't offer a solution, but I see the problem.

    In the character sets I've looked at, u-umlaut is stored as hex FC -
    a very high value which may be in use by RDE internally as a control
    character (haven't checked).

    Someone else may be able to help further.

    daz

    daz, Jun 20, 2004

  3. Hello Axel,

    AF> Hello,

    AF> when saving a file "myfile.rb" with RDE to disk, opening and saving
    AF> it with another editor (NoteTab) and then opening it again with RDE,
    AF> german umlauts (umlaute) are distroyed (there are funny characters).
    AF> Any idea what could help?

    I guess that RDE saves as UTF-8. Try some other codeset option in
    NoteTab.

    Lothar Scholz http://www.ruby-ide.com

    Lothar Scholz, Jun 20, 2004
  4. I did some tests (text-editor: "Notetab", HexEditor: "frhed"):

    - Type Umlaut 'ü' ( = ue = 0xFC ) to RDE, no newline(!),
    save it as rde.txt and open it with hexedior shows:
    fc 0d 0a (carrige return/linefeed has been added by RDE!)
    - Type Umlaut 'ü' ( = ue = 0xFC ) to text-editor
    shows in hex-editor: fc

    - Type 'aa' to RDE shows: 61 61 0d 0a (-> no unicode)
    - Doing the same with text-editor shows: 61 61

    - Type 'ü' to RDE, save it and
    reopen it with RDE shows in RDE: 'î‹' (stranges letters) !
    reopen it with text-editor shows in text-editor: 'ü<newline>' !
    reopen it with hex-editor shows in hex-editor: fc 0d 0a

    - Type 'ü' ( = ue = 0xFC ) to RDE and open it with text-editor
    shows in text-editor shows: 'ü'
    - Type 'ü' ( = ue = 0xFC ) to texteditor and open it with RDE
    shows in RDE: 'ü'

    - Type 'ü<newline>' to texteditor and open it with RDE
    shows in RDE _strange letters_: 'î‹'
    hexeditor shows: fc 0d 0a !

    - Type 'ü<newline>' to RDE and open it with RDE
    shows in RDE _strange letters_: —î<newline' !
    hexeditor shows: 97 ee 0a 0d 0a !
    texteditor shows: '—î' (strange letters)

    So, i guess, it is not a unicode-problem.
    But, how to get rid of this problem?

    I have to use umlauts in regexp for textprocessing.

    Axel

    Lothar Scholz <> wrote in

    --
    My email, see: http://cafriedrich.netfirms.com/email.gif