RDE: Problems with German Umlauts (Umlaute)

Axel Friedrich

Hello,

when saving a file "myfile.rb" with RDE to disk, opening and saving
it with another editor (NoteTab) and then opening it again with RDE,
german umlauts (umlaute) are distroyed (there are funny characters).
Any idea what could help?

Thanks in advance

Axel

RDE 0.9.9.1
Windows 98SE
ruby 1.67, 1.81, 1.82 cygwin & mswin32

daz

Axel said:
Hello,

when saving a file "myfile.rb" with RDE to disk, opening and saving
it with another editor (NoteTab) and then opening it again with RDE,
german umlauts (umlaute) are distroyed (there are funny characters).
Any idea what could help?

Thanks in advance

Axel

RDE 0.9.9.1
Windows 98SE
ruby 1.67, 1.81, 1.82 cygwin & mswin32

I can't offer a solution, but I see the problem.

In the character sets I've looked at, u-umlaut is stored as hex FC -
a very high value which may be in use by RDE internally as a control
character (haven't checked).

Someone else may be able to help further.

daz

Lothar Scholz

Hello Axel,

AF> Hello,

AF> when saving a file "myfile.rb" with RDE to disk, opening and saving
AF> it with another editor (NoteTab) and then opening it again with RDE,
AF> german umlauts (umlaute) are distroyed (there are funny characters).
AF> Any idea what could help?

I guess that RDE saves as UTF-8. Try some other codeset option in
NoteTab.

Axel Friedrich

I did some tests (text-editor: "Notetab", HexEditor: "frhed"):

- Type Umlaut 'ü' ( = ue = 0xFC ) to RDE, no newline(!),
save it as rde.txt and open it with hexedior shows:
fc 0d 0a (carrige return/linefeed has been added by RDE!)
- Type Umlaut 'ü' ( = ue = 0xFC ) to text-editor
shows in hex-editor: fc

- Type 'aa' to RDE shows: 61 61 0d 0a (-> no unicode)
- Doing the same with text-editor shows: 61 61

- Type 'ü' to RDE, save it and
reopen it with RDE shows in RDE: 'î‹' (stranges letters) !
reopen it with text-editor shows in text-editor: 'ü<newline>' !
reopen it with hex-editor shows in hex-editor: fc 0d 0a

- Type 'ü' ( = ue = 0xFC ) to RDE and open it with text-editor
shows in text-editor shows: 'ü'
- Type 'ü' ( = ue = 0xFC ) to texteditor and open it with RDE
shows in RDE: 'ü'

- Type 'ü<newline>' to texteditor and open it with RDE
shows in RDE _strange letters_: 'î‹'
hexeditor shows: fc 0d 0a !

- Type 'ü<newline>' to RDE and open it with RDE
shows in RDE _strange letters_: —î<newline' !
hexeditor shows: 97 ee 0a 0d 0a !
texteditor shows: '—î' (strange letters)

So, i guess, it is not a unicode-problem.
But, how to get rid of this problem?

I have to use umlauts in regexp for textprocessing.

Axel