RDLC / Report Viewer to Excel

checkraiser

I have an RDLC file report where on a few data elements, I'm running a format
function on the data in order to get commas separators in the number. The
textbox property for the data elements value is

=Format(CLng(Fields!MyField.Value),"###,###,###,##0")

The data elements in the xsd that the report uses are defined as either
decimal or integer. Essentially, we just want to get a whole number here
with no decimal places that has a readable comma delimiter every 3 positions.

The format works well for the web report. But when the report is generated
in Excel, I get a bunch of green corner triangles with an error that says,
"The number in this cell is formatted as text or preceeded by an apostrophe."
The values are all treated as character data in the spreadsheet and not as
numeric values that calculations can be performed on, making it frustrating
if you want to do some simple math in the spreadsheet.

Is there a way to format this data so that it will be recognized as a number
in excel and still have the commas in the number for readability?

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi

Sorry for the late reply. To solve this problem we can set
=Fields!MyField.Value as the Value and set ="###,###,###,##0" as the
Format. You can find the "Format" under the "Appearance" of the properties
window.

Please have a try and feel free to let met know if you need further
assistance.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?Y2hlY2tyYWlzZXJAY29tbXVuaXR5Lm5vc3BhbQ==?=
<[email protected]>
| Subject: RDLC / Report Viewer to Excel
| Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 15:01:03 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I have an RDLC file report where on a few data elements, I'm running a
format
| function on the data in order to get commas separators in the number.
The
| textbox property for the data elements value is
|
| =Format(CLng(Fields!MyField.Value),"###,###,###,##0")
|
| The data elements in the xsd that the report uses are defined as either
| decimal or integer. Essentially, we just want to get a whole number here
| with no decimal places that has a readable comma delimiter every 3
positions.

| The format works well for the web report. But when the report is
generated
| in Excel, I get a bunch of green corner triangles with an error that
says,
| "The number in this cell is formatted as text or preceeded by an
apostrophe."
| The values are all treated as character data in the spreadsheet and not
as
| numeric values that calculations can be performed on, making it
frustrating
| if you want to do some simple math in the spreadsheet.
|
| Is there a way to format this data so that it will be recognized as a
number
| in excel and still have the commas in the number for readability?

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi,

Can my suggestion work?

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Community Support
--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?Y2hlY2tyYWlzZXJAY29tbXVuaXR5Lm5vc3BhbQ==?=
<[email protected]>
| Subject: RDLC / Report Viewer to Excel
| Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 15:01:03 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I have an RDLC file report where on a few data elements, I'm running a
format
| function on the data in order to get commas separators in the number.
The
| textbox property for the data elements value is
|
| =Format(CLng(Fields!MyField.Value),"###,###,###,##0")
|
| The data elements in the xsd that the report uses are defined as either
| decimal or integer. Essentially, we just want to get a whole number here
| with no decimal places that has a readable comma delimiter every 3
positions.

| The format works well for the web report. But when the report is
generated
| in Excel, I get a bunch of green corner triangles with an error that
says,
| "The number in this cell is formatted as text or preceeded by an
apostrophe."
| The values are all treated as character data in the spreadsheet and not
as
| numeric values that calculations can be performed on, making it
frustrating
| if you want to do some simple math in the spreadsheet.
|
| Is there a way to format this data so that it will be recognized as a
number
| in excel and still have the commas in the number for readability?

Joined
Apr 16, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
RDLC Export to excel number stored as Text

Hi All,

I have an RDLC file report with Price column to display numeric data. Database datatype is numeric(7,3). The value set as =IIF(IsNothing(Sum(Fields!Price.Value)),"-",Sum(Fields!Price.Value)). When I export the report to excel file the price column values are stored as text. I want it to be stored as number format.
In reportViewer I have tried applying format even then it is not working. Please let me know is there any way to format this data so that it will be recognized as a number
in excel?

Regards
Seema