RDoc, ri and code completion in jEdit

Robert McKinnon

I'm implementing naïve Ruby code completion for the jEdit editor, using
ri to find classes and methods. I would like to use the ri Tagged
output format, so I have installed the latest ri from sourceforge,
v1.8b.

What version of RDoc is compatible with an ri version that can create
Tagged output?

The RDoc v1.0pr1 that is installed with Ruby 1.8.1 doesn't seem to
generate output understood by ri v1.8b. (For example, the rdoc output
doesn't contain an index file expected by ri v1.8b). I'm running the
command:
rdoc --ri -o /usr/local/lib/ruby/site-ruby/ri

Thanks,
Rob

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools

Dave Thomas

I'm implementing naïve Ruby code completion for the jEdit editor, using
ri to find classes and methods. I would like to use the ri Tagged
output format, so I have installed the latest ri from sourceforge,
v1.8b.

What version of RDoc is compatible with an ri version that can create
Tagged output?

The RDoc v1.0pr1 that is installed with Ruby 1.8.1 doesn't seem to
generate output understood by ri v1.8b. (For example, the rdoc output
doesn't contain an index file expected by ri v1.8b). I'm running the
command:

The RDoc that comes with the 1.8.1 and 1.,9 branches includes its own
ri. The one on SourceForge in obsolete, and will be going away once 1.2
becomes dominate.

However, that's good news for you, as you should be able to use the
RiCache stuff to get direct access to the documentation extracted by
RDoc. Have a look at how the new 'ri' works (lib/rdoc/ri/... -- I think
you'll find it's pretty convenient for code completion and so on. The
only one caveat: right now RiCache has a fairly decent start-up time (a
second or so), so you'll want to create one and keep it lying around.

Cheers

Dave