RDoc templates...

Greg McIntyre

Yesterday I tried to write a new RDoc template which did the following:

- Instead of listing attributes, listed the equivalent accessor and
setter methods. i.e. A.x and A.x= instead of listing x [RW]. This is
because I'm a fan of the Uniform Access Principle...

- Have short descriptions ala Javadoc. That is, at the top of the class
description have a list of its members (as links) each with a 1 line
description (up to and including the first period'.' in the comment)
to its left which leads to a longer description if available.

And it was pretty much impossible! :(

So I got my text editor out and in a glorious bout of top-down design I
bashed out what I'd _like_ to have to write for an RDoc template. As it
turns out, what I ended up was kind of like the Builder design pattern,
and I was writing a ConcreteBuilder (with only one method in the Builder
interface so far!). So anyway, I thought I'd post it here and see what
people thought, if they liked it, etc. 'Cause I like RDoc from the
source code end of the stick but it could be more versatile in the
middle and pretty on the other end of the stick... And if Dave likes
this I may get more into RDoc development (perhaps as a case study of
refactoring for my own sake?).

Anyway! I put it here for easy viewing and to avoid email mangling:

http://members.optushome.com.au/puyo/htmloutputter.rb