RDoc::usage has gone

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by James Ponder, Apr 1, 2009.

  1. James Ponder

    James Ponder Guest

    Hi

    RDoc::usage was removed from ruby at the beginning of 2008, and thus is =
    not present in Ruby 1.9.1:

    Fri Jan 11 18:28:49 2008 Eric Hodel
    * lib/rdoc/usage.rb: Removed.
    * lib/getoptlong.rb: Update example to not use =
    lib/rdoc/usage.rb.

    It was a very useful function that allowed documentation in rdoc format =
    to be programmatically output. I've been using it for displaying =
    extended information either after an OptionsParser help summary output =
    or as a replacement when OptionsParser's output isn't suitable. It's =
    also very useful for other information-display reasons where you want =
    information in rdoc format to also be programmatically available to =
    avoid duplication.

    It seems a shame that it has gone, especially as it is documented in the =
    pickaxe book (second edition) and is widely deployed.

    What is a suitable replacement?

    James
    James Ponder, Apr 1, 2009

  2. James Ponder

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Apr 1, 2009, at 14:52, James Ponder wrote:
    > RDoc::usage was removed from ruby at the beginning of 2008, and thus
    > is not present in Ruby 1.9.1:
    >
    > Fri Jan 11 18:28:49 2008 Eric Hodel
    > * lib/rdoc/usage.rb: Removed.
    > * lib/getoptlong.rb: Update example to not use lib/rdoc/
    > usage.rb.
    >
    > It was a very useful function that allowed documentation in rdoc
    > format to be programmatically output. I've been using it for
    > displaying extended information either after an OptionsParser help
    > summary output or as a replacement when OptionsParser's output isn't
    > suitable. It's also very useful for other information-display
    > reasons where you want information in rdoc format to also be
    > programmatically available to avoid duplication.
    >
    > It seems a shame that it has gone, especially as it is documented in
    > the pickaxe book (second edition) and is widely deployed.
    >
    > What is a suitable replacement?

    There's no reason you can't take rdoc/usage.rb from RDoc 1, modernize
    it and release it as a gem.
    Eric Hodel, Apr 1, 2009