RDoc::usage has gone

James Ponder

Hi

RDoc::usage was removed from ruby at the beginning of 2008, and thus is =
not present in Ruby 1.9.1:

Fri Jan 11 18:28:49 2008 Eric Hodel
* lib/rdoc/usage.rb: Removed.
* lib/getoptlong.rb: Update example to not use =
lib/rdoc/usage.rb.

It was a very useful function that allowed documentation in rdoc format =
to be programmatically output. I've been using it for displaying =
extended information either after an OptionsParser help summary output =
or as a replacement when OptionsParser's output isn't suitable. It's =
also very useful for other information-display reasons where you want =
information in rdoc format to also be programmatically available to =
avoid duplication.

It seems a shame that it has gone, especially as it is documented in the =
pickaxe book (second edition) and is widely deployed.

What is a suitable replacement?

James

Eric Hodel

RDoc::usage was removed from ruby at the beginning of 2008, and thus
is not present in Ruby 1.9.1:

Fri Jan 11 18:28:49 2008 Eric Hodel
* lib/rdoc/usage.rb: Removed.
* lib/getoptlong.rb: Update example to not use lib/rdoc/
usage.rb.

It was a very useful function that allowed documentation in rdoc
format to be programmatically output. I've been using it for
displaying extended information either after an OptionsParser help
summary output or as a replacement when OptionsParser's output isn't
suitable. It's also very useful for other information-display
reasons where you want information in rdoc format to also be
programmatically available to avoid duplication.

It seems a shame that it has gone, especially as it is documented in
the pickaxe book (second edition) and is widely deployed.

What is a suitable replacement?

There's no reason you can't take rdoc/usage.rb from RDoc 1, modernize
it and release it as a gem.