Bill Kelly

From: "Trans said:
When I use rdoc like so:

rdoc -x InstalledFiles *

It includes InstalledFiles anyway because of the *. But if I don't use
the *, it doesn't include any of my top files like README. So AFAICT,
I have no other option but to explicitly list every single file I want
to rdoc on the command line. What a pain!

Possible workaround?

rdoc `ls * | grep -v InstalledFiles`

Regards,

Bill

Eric Hodel

When I use rdoc like so:

rdoc -x InstalledFiles *

It includes InstalledFiles anyway because of the *. But if I don't use
the *, it doesn't include any of my top files like README. So AFAICT,
I have no other option but to explicitly list every single file I want
to rdoc on the command line. What a pain!

I just don't see the value in rdoc including a file that's been
explicitly flagged for exclusion via -x/--exclude. Do you? Can we get
sort of fix/feature for this in a future release of RDocs?

Did you file a bug?

I don't see how you can expect developers to keep track of bugs
"filed" on a mailing list, especially one that isn't for the
development of the software in question. If you find bugs and want
them fixed, file them in the appropriate bug tracker.

Trans

From: "Trans" <[email protected]>

Possible workaround?

rdoc `ls * | grep -v InstalledFiles`

That one doesn't work for a couple of reasons. But yes, we can fashion
a work around along these lines. It's just unfortunate that we have to
do so due to rdoc's hobbled -x option. If you look at other rdoc
utilities, like Rake's rdoc task, you will see that they indeed list
every single file to be rdoc'd. You should see the Facets rdoc command
it literally covers my entire screen!

T.

Trans

Did you file a bug?

I don't see how you can expect developers to keep track of bugs
"filed" on a mailing list, especially one that isn't for the
development of the software in question. If you find bugs and want
them fixed, file them in the appropriate bug tracker.

Thanks Eric. I will do so...

It's just that I'm not sure it's a bug. I think it was meant to be
that way for some reason. But I think maybe the reason turned out not
to be so good after all, but it's never been addressed b/c other tools
(like the Rake task) took care of the issue. I bring it up here first
to see if my reasoning is sound and that others concur. If they/you
do, I will submit a feature request.

Thanks.
T.

Eric Hodel

Thanks Eric. I will do so...

It's just that I'm not sure it's a bug. I think it was meant to be
that way for some reason.

If you're not sure, file a bug. At worst, the maintainer sees it and
rejects it. After all, they're the best person to determine if what
you've found is really a bug.
But I think maybe the reason turned out not to be so good after
all, but it's never been addressed b/c other tools (like the Rake
task) took care of the issue. I bring it up here first to see if my
reasoning is sound and that others concur. If they/you
do, I will submit a feature request.

What if nobody agrees with you, but it really is a bug? The
maintainer will never see it then. Its always better to file a bug.

Trans

If you're not sure, file a bug. At worst, the maintainer sees it and
rejects it. After all, they're the best person to determine if what
you've found is really a bug.

What if nobody agrees with you, but it really is a bug? The
maintainer will never see it then. Its always better to file a bug.

Good point. It's a Ruby-core issue though, so I don't think it's all
for naught. But anyway, I submitted it. It's like 150th on the list.

T.