Re[2]: AVI I/O

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dmitry Borisov, Aug 5, 2004.

  1. >
    > ziaran wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to use Python for Image proccessing.
    > I need the following capabilities:
    >
    > 1. To be able to read and WRITE an AVI file frame by frame.
    > 2. To be able to access each fram as a simple matrix.
    >
    > I tried to search for that in google but could not find something
    > intuitive and simple.
    >
    > The matrices part is important since iamge processing is done through
    > matrices manipulation.
    >
    > MATLAB is an example of a tool with scripting capabilities in which you
    > can do that in a simple way.
    >
    > Is Python adequate for that?

    You can use pymedia to do that( http://pymedia.sourceforge.net )
    ATM writing of avi files is not supported( mpeg only ), however you can do a simple fix for that if you're interested.

    The way it works is it parses AVI file, gives you frames( audio, video, text ) and then you can decode video into YUV frames and convert it into the regular BMP image as string which I suppose you meant by "matrix".

    Dmitry/
    Dmitry Borisov, Aug 5, 2004