Re: 2003 and 1998 C++ standards?

Discussion in 'C++' started by Dietmar Kuehl, Sep 16, 2004.

  1. wrote:
    > I've been checking out ANSI's webstore with the intention of getting

    > copy of the C++ standard, and astonishingly it seems to be dated

    2003!
    > Bjarne Stroustrup's site states that C++0x is still a long way from
    > completion, and nowhere else on the web seems to refer to the 1998
    > standard being replaced with a 2003 standard, so what's going on?

    The C++ committee issued a Technical Corrigendum (TC) which was
    accepted by the ISO bodies. The "C++ 2003" standard is the "C++ 1998"
    standard with the modifications of the TC applied. These modifications
    do not introduce changes but only correct problems (which, admittedly,
    occasionally is change): the TC clarifies ambiguities, removes
    contradictions, adds omissions (i.e. specifications for entities
    mentioned but not specified), etc.

    C++0x refers to a standard which not only corrected but also extended.
    It is expected that C++0x has a bigger standard C++ library and better
    support for various paradigms. What will really change in C++0x is,
    however, completely open.

    Dietmar Kuehl, Sep 16, 2004