Re: 2to3 on Mac - unknown encoding: mbcs

Discussion in 'Python' started by Gabriel Genellina, Nov 6, 2009.

  1. En Thu, 05 Nov 2009 22:50:57 -0300, Skip Montanaro <>
    escribió:

    > I tried naively running 2to3 over the SpamBayes source code on my Mac
    > and got this traceback:
    >
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "/Users/skip/local/lib/python3.2/lib2to3/pgen2/tokenize.py",
    > line 281, in find_cookie
    > codec = lookup(encoding)
    > LookupError: unknown encoding: mbcs
    >
    > SpamBayes does have several files which contain the "mbcs" coding
    > cookie:
    >
    > ./windows/py2exe/gen_py/addin-designer.py
    > ./windows/py2exe/gen_py/office-9.py
    > ./windows/py2exe/gen_py/outlook-9.py
    >
    > After a little hunting I came across the docs for the codecs module,
    > which for "mbcs" states:
    >
    > Windows only: Encode operand according to the ANSI codepage (CP_ACP)
    >
    > Is there something I can use to replace the mbcs coding cookies which
    > will allow 2to3 to process these Windows-specific files?

    Using mbcs as the source encoding declaration is evil (and stupid too).
    mbcs means "whatever encoding is currently configured in Windows", it is
    not a specific encoding.
    You have to guess which encoding those files are in. windows-1252 (almost
    the same as latin-1) is the one used in "Western Europe", which covers an
    area much broader than its name.

    Good luck,

    --
    Gabriel Genellina