Re: A desperate lunge for on-topic-ness

Discussion in 'Python' started by Demian Brecht, Oct 18, 2012.

  1. > 3. Say "well, at least it's not a backslash" and break the line using
    > parentheses.

    This. More times than not, there's a function call in that line, which
    makes sense to me when reading it if the args are on the next line.

    > 4. Spend 45 minutes trying to think up shorter [but still sensible]
    > variable names to make it fit.

    I generally can't shorten my variable names without breaking the
    minimum length PEP8 rule ;)

    Now having said that, it kind of depends on the code base I'm working
    with. If it's my own project, I never go past 79 characters (vim
    tw=79). However, if it's a code base that I didn't start and it seems
    to consistently go past 79 characters, I'll usually follow suit (with
    my feet dragging of course). Nothing worse than inconsistency, even if
    it's a standard I don't necessarily agree with :p

    Demian Brecht, Oct 18, 2012