Re: A desperate lunge for on-topic-ness

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Angelico, Oct 18, 2012.

  1. On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 2:49 AM, Dan Stromberg <> wrote:
    > In fact, I tend to do lots of "otherwise pointless" variables, because I
    > want to be able to quickly and easily insert print statements/functions
    > without having to split up large commands, during debugging.

    When will we next have a language with something like the REXX 'trace
    i' command?

    [C:\Desktop]rexxtry trace i; say 1+2*3 "equals" words(linein(word(source,3)))
    95 *-* Say 1 + 2 * 3 'equals'
    words(linein(word(source, 3)));
    >L> "1"
    >L> "2"
    >L> "3"
    >O> "6"
    >O> "7"
    >L> "equals"
    >O> "7 equals"
    >V> "OS/2 COMMAND C:\OS2\REXXTRY.CMD"
    >L> "3"
    >F> "C:\OS2\REXXTRY.CMD"
    >F> "/* SAA-portable REXXTRY procedure

    11/08/91 version 1.05"
    >F> "7"
    >O> "7 equals 7"
    >>> "7 equals 7"

    96 *-* Trace 'Off';

    Intermediate expression/statement evaluation, full details. Takes some
    knowledge to comprehend (>L> means literal, >V> variable, >F> function
    return value, etc), but extremely handy. Unfortunately REXX is an
    aging language, as evidenced by such features as DBCS support (but no
    Unicode), and functions as first-class objects support (nonexistent).
    But this is a feature that I'd love to see implemented somewhere else.

    Which probably means I'm going to have to write it somewhere else...

    ChrisA

    Chris Angelico, Oct 18, 2012